Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which firmware update? (AC3000)

k17
Aspirant
Aspirant

Which firmware update? (AC3000)

Thanks to st_shaw and FURRYe38 for taking the time to respond to my earlier question:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/YEA-or-NAY-Orbi-AC300-RBR50-amp-RBS50/m-p/1654520#M43945

I went for it and just got home from Bestbuy with an Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 &RBS50). I will tackle installation tomorrow.

I'm not sure what firmware is pre-installed. And, it seems that I may not really have the option, but if I do...

1. Which firmware version should I update to?

2. Can I / should I NOT install the latest firmware version 2.2.1.210?

3. Can I turn off firmware auto-updates?

4. Any other words of wisdom?

I'm connecting the Orbi RBR50 router unit directly to an Optimum Cable supplied modem (Arris TM 1602A). (This is only a modem; it is not Optimum's new Altice One combination modem/router/dvr.) The Orbi is replacing the Optimum supplied router (Sagemcom F@st 5260CV). I use a TiVo as the cablebox/dvr.)

Thanks again for any help,

Ken

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Which firmware update? (AC3000)

IF the system doesn't update on it's own after installation, use what I did to set up my friends Orbi to get it to update to the middle intermediate version, then the most current will install:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Be Sure to upate the satellite(s) first before the router

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Which firmware update? (AC3000)

1. Which firmware version should I update to?- Don't worry about it.  Once the Orbi router and Sats are setup, they SHOULD update themselves.  If NOT, then leave them alone if your systems appears to be working.  

2. Can I / should I NOT install the latest firmware version 2.2.1.210? - See above

3. Can I turn off firmware auto-updates? - Not sure.  Many folks here complained and for awhile NG did seem to cut back on the auto updates.  I believe they are back on.  There is no perfect answer.  If they/you turn off the auto updates, then what?  You sit there and go by what others are saying..??  Maybe their network is a bit different than yours.

4. Any other words of wisdom?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7