Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why RBS50 Mentions Status of AP?

CrimpOn
Guru

Why RBS50 Mentions Status of AP?

Does anyone else find it "odd" that the RBS50 Satellite Home Page thoughtfully provides the status of the 2.4G and 5G Access Points?  (i.e. "On")  As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism in the Orbi web interface to disable the actual radio. Should it not always be "On"?

SatAP.PNG

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why RBS50 Mentions Status of AP?

Can you attach the file to a post? Can't see your picture until it's approved. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Sure.  I didn't realize there was an approval process on "in line" PNG's, but not attachments.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible this is how the chipset mfr designed the code and NG is just providing the info. The status could show other information like if or when there could be a failure of some sorts. Does seem a bit odd since you can really do anything with RBSs and there operation. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I am so old that I remember back when IBM could not decide which would sell better, their "VM" machines or their regular machines.  So, they set up two entirely separate divisions, engineers, salesmen, etc. and let them fight it out in the market.  Who cared about consistency or compatibility as long as the customer bought something from IBM?

Seems to me like Netgear did something similar.  There are the Nighthawk people, plugging along, but not creating a "mesh" system fast enough to meet the emerging need.  Heaven forbid we should lose sales to someone else.  So, somebody said, "Hey.  I can have a mesh system up in no time using the OpenWRT code!"  Sure, why not?  So now Netgear has at least two product lines which have very little in common.  I think the Orbi "app" is another example. "We need a way to configure Orbi's when the customer does not have a PC or Mac."  Hey, so-and-so says he can have an app for us in only six months.  Go for it!  Hey, this app doesn't do stuff (VPN, port forwarding, DDNS, AP vs. router, etc.).  "If they don't have a PC, why would they need any of that stuff?  It doesn't belong in "the app" anyway."

What I think is the original OpenWRT code had a mechanism to turn the radios off and on, so the engineer writing code for the satellite included a display of radio status in the web page.  Whoever was working on the router knew that turning the radio off was being deactivated and left it off his web page.  Sort of like why the router says "Attached Devices" and the satellite says "Connected Devices".

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7