Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why does my Orbi RBR50 keep disconnecting me

Doctorbeefy
Tutor

Why does my Orbi RBR50 keep disconnecting me

I keep losing service multiple times throughout the day and it has been going on for weeks. I have also tried disabling and enabling settings as well recommended on the forums for people with this same issue. 

My modem seems fine with internet no issues etc but the orbi either reboots or drops the wifi or something for 1-5 minutes and it comes back. It has been driving me nuts to the point where I am about to throw this in the trash. It has worked great the last 2 years (roughly) that I have had it but within the last few months or so its been nothing but a connection drop fest and I work from home. 

Here is a link to a zip of my logs from /debug.htm : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbUJlfRmVAtla1MMMX58P66R5NUmeEIH/view?usp=sharing I hope this helps. 

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Why does my Orbi RBR50 keep disconnecting me

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

what firmware version is on the router? 

And on the satellites? 

Does it happen to all devices? Just wireless devices? Do wired devices drop? 

what have you tried changing? 

Have you noticed if its the devices connected to the satellites or the router? (try powering off the satellites and just using the router)

Message 2 of 11
Doctorbeefy
Tutor

what modem/gateway is it connected to?
Xfinity Complete (it's in bridge mode)

From their website this is the exact name:
Voice and Data Modem
TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM

what firmware version is on the router?
2.7.4.24 latest for bot the router and satellite.

Does it happen to all devices? Just wireless devices? Do wired devices drop?
Usually yes from what I can tell when my computer drops so does my phone.

I only have wireless devices set up at the moment 8 of them total and not all being used at the same time.

what have you tried changing?
- Turned beamforming on and off.
- Full factory resets on both router, satellite and modem
- turned off and on coexistence
- Turned off and on WMM
- turned off and on MU-MIMO
- tried using my issue dns and google and cloud flare.

All of these made no difference still have random disconnects.

Have you noticed if its the devices connected to the satellites or the router? (try powering off the satellites and just using the router)

Happened with no satellites attached (tested that after the factory reset).

I also only have one satellite.
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

to frequently I'v seen isp supplied modem/router combo devices not function properly in bridge mode. 

What I usually recommend people try is to put the ISP modem/router back in router mode and disable its wifi. 

Then connect the orbi to it and put the orbi in access point mode. 

See if that works and stays stable. 

Message 4 of 11
Doctorbeefy
Tutor

Just did what you asked and now it is even worse.... Disconnects every 5 minutes.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

So when the ISP device is in bridge mode (takes less cpu/power) it drops occasional. 

When the ISP device is in router mode (higher power needs/cpu) it drops all the time. 

If you're connecting directly to the ISP supplied router, does it drop? 

Message 6 of 11
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Doctorbeefy,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you have been experiencing network stability issues with your RBR50 losing connection every five minutes. 

Please PM the following information so I can endorse you to our support team:
Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 7 of 11
Doctorbeefy
Tutor

sent a pm

Just for anyone watching this thread the issue is definitely the orbi, I switched out my xfinity modem and bought a arris surfboard s33 and I am still getting random disconnects on both lan and wifi that last anywhere from 1 - 5 minutes at a time many times a day. I do not have drops when connected directly to the modem, its like the obri is severing the connection to the modem. 

I am at a loss as it worked fine for months and all of a sudden it does this over and over and over it makes me feel like they have a kill switch built into the orbis. If this cannot be fixed ill never use this product again. 

This issue also happens with and without a satellite so it seems to be something with the router itself. 

Message 8 of 11
Shade2074
Aspirant

Have you had any success or updates? I’ve been experiencing the same thing for months now…
😞
Message 9 of 11
Doctorbeefy
Tutor

I did a full factory reset on everything and got a new modem and a new line ran from my pole(box outside) to the house and after all that it works fine again. So the issue could have been either the orbi or the isp.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

️One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7