Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why does the Orbi App REQUIRE location services to be enabled?

robo9000
Tutor

Why does the Orbi App REQUIRE location services to be enabled?

I downloaded the Orbi app and it won't let me continue without allowing location services on. It says it needs it to 'automatically connect to wifi'. Well, my phone already automatically connects to my wifi. Why does location services HAVE to be on to use this app? It makes no sense unless you're trying to steal my location. I was going to sign up for Armor, but now I don't trust Netgear at all so I'm thinking of switching routers entirely.

Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

As mentioned in the app, Location Services is needed to allow the app to automatically connect your mobile device to your Orbi network if you -later- change the network name (SSID), without repeating the authentication procedure.

I think Location is also used in the Orbi app mainly to select the app language. 

Message 2 of 7
robo9000
Tutor

Right, but I could easily reauthenticate myself if I change the SSID. The app should still operate without requiring location services and as it stands you can’t.
Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I reloaded the Orbi app on my Android phone just ow (version 2.4.8.816).  When it asked for "Location Permission" it definitely was an option.  One of those ominous warnings, "May experience reduced experience if location is not allowed."  The app was clearly prepared to proceed without knowing location.  Maybe the Apple app is different?

Message 4 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @robo9000

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  "Location Access" permissions is needed by the app to determine the name of the connected WiFi SSID to assist with auto-connection and device detection.  To ensure compatibility with the latest iOS13 changes, this was mandated as a short-term fix, but we will be looking to relaxing this requirement in an upcoming app update.  Please note the app does NOT capture or submit any detailed location information.  For further details feel free to contact us at netgearteam@netgear.com.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 7
ShtWifiuuu
Initiate

The app refuses to allow access without it! This is against Apple App Store policy and will be making a complaint there as well. To make things worse, last time installing a firmware update they didn’t need location access to mess up my network, now they have location access and still have to manually unplug and install updates.
Message 6 of 7
Bryan_A
Aspirant

The problem is that the app is continuously accessing the location which drains the iPhone battery very quickly and also the comms circuitry in the iPhone gets very warm due to this way of working. If this was done as a short-term fix, then I suggest it was a crap solution.

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi @robo9000

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  "Location Access" permissions is needed by the app to determine the name of the connected WiFi SSID to assist with auto-connection and device detection.  To ensure compatibility with the latest iOS13 changes, this was mandated as a short-term fix, but we will be looking to relaxing this requirement in an upcoming app update.  Please note the app does NOT capture or submit any detailed location information.  For further details feel free to contact us at netgearteam@netgear.com.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7