Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why does the router connect to devices much further than than the satellite

bottomsup
Guide

Why does the router connect to devices much further than than the satellite

instead of letting the main router do it?

I am trying to optimize the placement of my satelite. 

I also noticed that it will maintain a weaker 5ghz signal to devices than siwtching to 2ghz to maintain stronger signal.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Why does the router connect to devices much further than than the satellite

@bottomsup wrote:

I also noticed that it will maintain a weaker 5ghz signal to devices than siwtching to 2ghz to maintain stronger signal.

how far apart are they? 30ft is recommended between router/satellite.

They don't auto switch as soon as they detect they're closer to router versus satellite. It takes other things into consideration such as signal strength (good/band/good enough), bandwidth needs, devices on that router/satellite.

Also, 2.4ghz might have a much stronger signal but its much lower throughput. 2.4ghz has better penetration skills and broadcasts further but is much slower. So even though the 5ghz might be weaker, it doesn't mean its slower. 

Message 2 of 13
bottomsup
Guide

They were 25ft. I just moved it a bit further and into a different room. Probably 32ft now. I can give this a try. BTW i enabled fast switching in the advanced options

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@bottomsup wrote:

They were 25ft. I just moved it a bit further and into a different room. Probably 32ft now. I can give this a try. BTW i enabled fast switching in the advanced options

Message 4 of 13
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I experience this same issue with IoT devices (IP Cameras, smart garage door openers, smart plugs, etc). Whenever the router reboots, its WiFi is turned on before the Satellites WiFi. This race condition will cause IoT devices to connect to the first signal they see rather than waiting to see if a stronger signal is available from a closer satellite. The only workaround so far is to power-cycle the IoT device to get it to search for a new WiFi signal. Unfortunately it is not at all convenient, especially when I need a ladder to unplug a security camera or smart garage door opener. IoT devices do not keep searching for the best WiFi signal like smart phones and tablets do (devices expected to roam).

Suggestions to reduce power on the 2.4GHz frequency really doesn't work unless I could reduce the power on the router but not on the satellites. Adjusting the power level affects the router and all satellites.

Implicit Beamforming nor Fast Roaming affect the race condition of IoT devices binding to the router before any satellites (provided the routers signal is strong enough). This race condition is due to the radio being turned on for the router before the satellites, thus clients bind to the first strong-enough radio signal they see rather than to a closer satellite.

Message 5 of 13
bottomsup
Guide

this could be the reason. THe two devices I expect to see connected to the satalite are my B-hyve irrifation control (IOT) and my car which I suppose might be an IOT device. 

It does pick up my ring doorbell but that might be becuase the main router can't reach it. 

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@tomschmidt wrote:

Whenever the router reboots, its WiFi is turned on before the Satellites WiFi. This race condition will cause IoT devices to connect to the first signal they see rather than waiting to see if a stronger signal is available from a closer satellite. The only workaround so far is to power-cycle the IoT device to get it to search for a new WiFi signal. Unfortunately it is not at all convenient,

One consideration is what causes the system to reboot.  I am so paranoid that I have all of my "networking stuff" (modem, router, satellite, switch) powered by UPS.  Not a BIG UPS, but enough to survive a power outage of at least 30 minutes.  (The satellite will probably last hours because it draws so little current.)  I'm also lucky that my  IP cameras can be rebooted remotely without climbing the ladder.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware its up to the connecting devices to pick and choose where they connect to, based on signal, noise and envrionment and there design. 

You can help some of this by lowering the power output of the RBR to help some with this. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@bottomsup wrote:

Message 8 of 13
bottomsup
Guide

I guess as long as they are connected it doesn't really matter. I just don't see my satelight doing any of the work and want to give it some love 🙂

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the power settings on the RBR at some point. You can always put them back if you need to. 

Again, it's up to client devices to pick what source they connect too. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Jetdrive
Luminary

I too notice that after a reboot of the whole system including satellites, most everything (50 devices) end up connected to the router and hardly any on the satellites. If I check a day or two later, everything is evened out across all devices. 

I also have noticed that if you just pull the power on the router and leave the satellites on, then when the router comes back up that, for the most part, the devices seem to remain connected to the satellites.

Message 11 of 13
bottomsup
Guide

It feels very unatural to nueter this powerful 6 antenna device i bought just to load balance the satelites. I guess it's a good thing since it means the main router is powerful enough to cover most devices. 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing unatural about it. It's a good feature to try if you want to help devices get connected to satellites. 

@bottomsup wrote:

It feels very unatural to nueter this powerful 6 antenna device i bought just to load balance the satelites. I guess it's a good thing since it means the main router is powerful enough to cover most devices. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7