Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why ever use Orbi AP mode?

b73
Tutor
Tutor

Why ever use Orbi AP mode?

Hello. I have been generally pleased with my Orbi on AP mode - good wireless coverage etc. But I would like to be able to isolate certain devices on the guest network, and it seems not possible in AP mode.

Why not just switch back to router mode? My Orbi router is currently plugged into a cable modem/router (with wifi disabled) from RCN (my cable provider). I suppose I would have 2 LANs, but if the only thing on the cable modem's LAN is the Orbi router, what problems will I have?

Thank you!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
MarkC1024
Luminary

Shouldn't have any major issues as long as the wireless is turned off.  If you can disable DHCP and NAT on the modem, that will eliminate the additional overhead of those functions - letting the Orbi handle everything except an internet routable IP.

Better yet, if you're renting your device from your provider, just go buy a good cable modem and save some $$$ while simplifying your network.

Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

@b73 wrote:

Why not just switch back to router mode? My Orbi router is currently plugged into a cable modem/router (with wifi disabled) from RCN (my cable provider). I suppose I would have 2 LANs, but if the only thing on the cable modem's LAN is the Orbi router, what problems will I have?

Thank you!

The major issue would be If you have any port forwarding setup on your RCN router.  In that case, the port forwarding will also need to be setup on the Orbi in rotuer mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7