Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why is my apple products slower that my microsoft products

SailorMarty
Follower

Why is my apple products slower that my microsoft products

Surface and droid have over 100 mb wifi. Apple phone and ipad around 20 mb. Why the difference? Our house uses both operating systems regulary.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14

check if the apple products are using the 2.4 gig or 5 gig

Message 2 of 14
itGeeks
Apprentice

Apple in general seems to be a problem child in the WiFi department according to my testing and reading how many others have WiFi problems with iOS, This is not just a problem with iOS/Orbi but many many other WAP's, It seems it either works well or not. As suggested see what band there using and you may also try opening a support ticket with both Apple and Netgear to try and get this resolved. My son-in-law had and continues to have problems with his iOS devices working well with an Asus wireless router and only after a firmware update from Apple has it gotten better but still not as good as there Android and Windows devices.

In closing it does almost sound as your Apple devices are using the 2.4 band and if Netgear has set the 2.4 band to use only 20MHz narrow vs 40Mhz wide like so many other WAP manufactures do and is a smart choice then your speed is very crippled

Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

I second the recommendation to use 5 GHz.  AFAIK, Apple devices will only use 20 MHz wide channels at 2.4 GHz.  It doesn't matter if you have set the router to use 40 MHz; Apple won't use it.

Message 4 of 14
itGeeks
Apprentice

Apple products just suck in general, I can't understand what everyone loves about Apple. I am the family and Friends IT person and when anyone calls me about problems 9 out of 10 times it includes an Apple product not working correctly, O and iTunes just hate it, The worst piece of software I can think of. Apple has a better way, Ya right. Garbage

Message 5 of 14

have to agree when it comes to wifi apple devices only love other apple devices its part of the apple creed to suck you in and make you buy their stuff only , the work around is to cripple your own wifi ( 20mhz ) to make apple devices talk , thus again apple forcing its self on even the non apple centric world , dam you steve jobs lol

Message 6 of 14
itGeeks
Apprentice

I think you said it better then I could. When it comes to Apple you better be totally in the Apple world head to toe or your going to have problems. And you know its not fair to all these other company that have great products such as Netgear, Asus, Open-Mesh because right a way the owner of these Apple iOS devices think these other great company products are junk and that's simply not the case. It's Apple thats garbage in every other aria other then great hardware.

In closing, Apple products in general don't play well with other product's from great company like Netgear. You sign up for Apple stick to Apple or free yourself from it and move to Android/Microsoft, Plain and simple. I do tech support and Apple is one of the most challenging of all, Everything from iTunes to iOS no joke. Thank god I was able to get most of my family and friend off the Apple way and my weekends are very peaceful now other then the few family members and friends that just have to have Apple in there life.

Message 7 of 14
GeekGear
Guide

The stores are crowded with customers waiting for the Genius bar rather than waiting to buy an Apple product.  The genious of Steve Jobs was to make the store always look crowded.

Message 8 of 14
cldeal
Guide

OK, I have to call BS on the way that this thread is going.  Netgear released a product with great potential, but with basically beta firmware.  No guest network, no USB, all kinds of devices (not just Apple) losing connection?  And what I just mentioned is not all-encompassing! Come on, let's get serious here.  You can turn this into an Apple bashing thread if you want to, but that's not productive in solving all the issues that Orbi is having right now.

Message 9 of 14

however the title does read ,

"Why is my apple products slower that my microsoft products"

and so we are exploring that aspect and explaining why in general apple dont play nice helps the op also understand the issue it has with the orbi

i do however concur plenty needs to be and has to be done , it isnt beta firmware if it was released with the product , its called initial release firmware and is what netgear team decided to release the orbi with , how well its fixed and how much its improved is now in the hands of the dev team and not the beta test team

Message 10 of 14
cldeal
Guide

Trust me, when a product is released, and it doesn't do everything or have all the features that are marketed, it is derisively referred to as beta software, no matter what they label it.  Granted, Netgear isn't the only company that does this, but it is what it is.  eero was the same way - some of the things didn't immediately work as advertised, but they quickly released firmware updates, and they've released at least 15 updates since the initial launch.  Both Apple and Microsoft have been accused of releasing "beta" products or software, and they're not the only ones.  Over the years, I've used routers from just about everyone - Linksys, Asus, Netgear, eero, D-Link, and Archer just to name a few - and this is the worse initial firmware release that I've ever seen.  I'm typing this on a 6-month old HP Spectre X360, and its speeds are slower than my 2-year-old MacBook Pro, so I guess YMMV with the Orbi.

Message 11 of 14

see the orbi support site

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

Firmware and Software Downloads

Current Versions

RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 1.2.0.6

RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 1.1.0.16 (Initial Release)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

just because netgear release things under done doesnt mean its beta

Message 12 of 14
cldeal
Guide

OK, you just don't get my point.  I'll just agree to disagree.  I'm done here.

Message 13 of 14
GeekGear
Guide

My intent is not to stoke the flame wars.  I would like to comment on whether this is beta software.  A bit off topic from the original topic but it has been mentioned here and quite a bit in this forum.  Saying a product is beta because it is released with missing features is not characteristic of beta software.  In fact based on Agile concepts it is considered to be the correct way to release software.  Rather than building the ocean liner which can take years or decades, one can start releasing a working application when it is just a dingy or a small raft.  Then features are added incrementally to eventually reach the richness in features of an Ocean liner. 

Only Netgear really knows if they released beta software.  I suppose if Obi was riddled with bugs that might suggest an early release of a product before it was ready.  Assuming they have done all the internal testing, regression testing and then with friendlies for awhile we can conclude this is production ready.  I suspect the core features of each Netgear router has a common origin.  Certainly from the point of view of the web site it appears to be the case.  How can Netgear build all of these routers with a completely different code base.  Certainly it gets updated but they must be similar.  This means Obi may share 50% or more of the same code base found in the other routers.  One might question this assumption because the Guest network was not baked into the original release but I have to believe the code base is shared among routers.  Otherwise we all owe the developers a big thank you and a gallon of Mallox.   

In any case I am comfortable with my belief this is not beta software. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7