Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why isnt there Two-factor authentication for Orbi Routers?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Why isnt there Two-factor authentication for Orbi Routers?

There is only a  'Administration Password' for Orbi Routers.  Why cant there be Two-factor authentication to login to administrate the Router?  A Security key or a Authenticator, like Google Authenticator?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for information on 'NETGEAR Insight mobile app'.  I forgot to mention, I do the administration of the router on my Macbook & it doesnt have touch ID.

Is there a 'NETGEAR app' for the desktop?

Message 3 of 6
vajim
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thank you for information on 'NETGEAR Insight mobile app'.  I forgot to mention, I do the administration of the router on my Macbook & it doesnt have touch ID.

Is there a 'NETGEAR app' for the desktop?

you may want to look here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for info.  I will look though all the details.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

There is only a  'Administration Password' for Orbi Routers.  Why cant there be Two-factor authentication to login to administrate the Router?  A Security key or a Authenticator, like Google Authenticator?

"Why?" is impossible to answer, since we are not privy to Netgear internal discussions.  My hypothesis is that the economic case for expending resources on 2FA is not there:

• There is not a huge consumer demand for it, which means there is little justification to expend resources on developing it.
  • The vast majority of consumer products do not offer 2FA, which means there is no pressure to "meet the competition."
  • If it were available, it would have to be as an option because so many customers would opt to turn it off.
  • The trend in consumer electronics is toward ease of use, rather than security.

2FA makes sense when there is something really important to protect, such as financial information, medical records, or even email.

My institution is implementing 2FA for email, including the "whole nine yards" (fobs, smartphone SMS, even calling a land-line telephone and speaking a code), but once authenticated, a device can skip 2FA for 5 days.  What is special about 5 days?

A system that defaults to http rather than https and will not allow the user name to be changed from "admin" is not likely to devote resources to 2FA.  But, since Netgear doesn't explain their decisions, we'll never know.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7