Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why the hell is connecting a printer to an Orbi such a frustrating ordeal?

OrbiisaPOS
Tutor

Why the hell is connecting a printer to an Orbi such a frustrating ordeal?

I've got an RBR 50 with one satellite.  The router is connected to my Comcast modem.  I recently bought an Epson ET-3750 printer/scanner/copier.  I was initially able to get it set up and it worked great for a few weeks.  Last week I had to turn off the modem/router and when I turned it back on the internet worked just fine.  But since then the printer simply won't connect.  I can see at least 2 networks with identical SSIDs but the printer won't connect to either of them.

I've done enough research to know that the printer needs to be on a 2.4GHz network and that the stupid Orbi doesn't differentiate between them and does not allow you to differentially control either of them.  For something that is pitched as an easy-to-use, easy to set up solution for wireless coverage in a home, this seems like a pretty huge blind spot that Netgear is apparently not interested in addressing or providing a solution for.  I'm so frustrated that I'm on the verge of throwing the whole stupid system in the garbage.  Is there a solution that doesn't involve command line firmware editing?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why the hell is connecting a printer to an Orbi such a frustrating ordeal?

THis doesn't involve any FW editing as you cant do this anyways. More like what is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? Seems to be a built in router here maybe?

Which router did you have the printer set up too? The Modem or the Orbi router?

Wired or wireless connection with the printer?

Try resetting the printer and setting it up from scratch? Make sure your connecting it to the Orbi system and not the ISP Modem.

Message 2 of 10
OrbiisaPOS
Tutor

The ISP modem does have a built in router but I've disabled the wireless broadcast.  I ended up starting from scratch and reinstalling the printer.  It's a wireless printer.  It just took way longer than it should because it randomly wouldn't recognize the correct network and then suddenly it would.  And now if the power ever blinks off I'll be in the same boat again because it won't reconnect on its own.

Maybe "editing firmware" isn't the correct terminology, but this is what I was referring to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Epson-ET-3600-printer-has-issue-with-Orbi-RBK50-single-SSID/td...

My point remains, though, that it's ridiculous that Netgear doesn't acknowledge this issue and has done nothing to address it.

Message 3 of 10
tsig
Luminary

When I switched to the Orbi I used the same SSID and password as my old router.  Everything switched over to the Orbi no problem, except the printer.  My doorbell, Roomba and stereo receiver are all 2.4 ghz only and they picked right up on the Orbi.  My HP printer would not.  I had to do a new setup using a USB cable connected to my PC. 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Separating SSIDs isn't the intended design of Smart Connect, wireless MESH and Orbi systems. Not officially supported either. Thus is not a issue that NG would need to fix.

One suggestion you can do with the printer. set up either a IP addresss reservation ON the router or set a Static IP address ON the printer outside of the routers default IP address pool. This will ensure the printer gets the same IP address if something happens.

@OrbiisaPOS wrote:

The ISP modem does have a built in router but I've disabled the wireless broadcast.  I ended up starting from scratch and reinstalling the printer.  It's a wireless printer.  It just took way longer than it should because it randomly wouldn't recognize the correct network and then suddenly it would.  And now if the power ever blinks off I'll be in the same boat again because it won't reconnect on its own.

Maybe "editing firmware" isn't the correct terminology, but this is what I was referring to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Epson-ET-3600-printer-has-issue-with-Orbi-RBK50-single-SSID/td...

My point remains, though, that it's ridiculous that Netgear doesn't acknowledge this issue and has done nothing to address it.

Message 5 of 10
OrbiisaPOS
Tutor

I understand that it's not the intended design, but if it's being marketed as an easy-to-use solution for whole-house wifi coverage then I think there should be some accommodation to enable easier, consistent wireless printer connectivity.

Thank you for the suggestion for creating a static IP/address reservation.  I'll give that a shot and keep my fingers crossed that it'll help the next time I face this situation.  I appreciate the help.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree. however not all problems come from the router. Could be a printer issue. I this case, seems like it.

Enjoy.

Message 7 of 10
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I agree. however not all problems come from the router. Could be a printer issue. I this case, seems like it.

Enjoy.

I think he might be right.  Have you tried manually setting the 2.4Ghz channel in the Orbi's admin pages? 

I have a Canon printer that cannot see the Orbi unless I manually set the channel.  This seems to be because the Orbi can use up to Channel 13 (which is completely clear in my neighbourhood and probably what the Orbi auto-selects) but the printer can only use the historic 2.4 Ghz channels (1 to 11).   I was only reminded of this over the weekend when I did a full factory reset and had to reset everything up again from scratch.    

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

We are waiting feed back to see how this has progressed. Hopefully something good has resulted. 

Message 9 of 10
DontKnowMuch
Aspirant

Ok, this may or may not help. I've got an old Apple Airport Express. Practically worthless. Can't use it to extend my Orbi network. 

HOWEVER. It works great if I use it to "join a networlk," and start it up with my printer attached to it by USB, then VOILA. Appears on my network, works great. Probably could get an old Express cheap on eBay. Hope someone finds this helpful!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7