Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why upgrade firmware is not the latest? RBK30 kit set

EddyKK
Follower

Why upgrade firmware is not the latest? RBK30 kit set

My RBK30 kit set (RBR40 + RBW30) under firmware upgrade click auto update not quite working, always said you are the latest.  

Current:

RBR40 v2.3.5.32

RBW30 v2.3.5.6

But from Netgear website shown RBR40 is v2.5.1.16 and RBW30 is 2.5.0.2.  Should I manually upgrade or is this fine?  Cos I am buying an additional RBS20 to add-on, not sure if need to upgrade latst firmware.  Currently working fine, just few weeks need to reboot cos dropping from 290Mbps to 90Mbps somehow.  

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Why upgrade firmware is not the latest? RBK30 kit set

You have come across one of the most vexing situations: Netgear firmware updates for the Orbi product.  My advice is simple, "if it ain't broke, please don't fix it."

• When Orbi was first released, it seemed to be intended as a "consumer, set it and forget it" device.  The customer would plug it in and never look at it again.  (sort of like any other "consumer appliance").
    Periodically, Netgear would push a firmware update to the Orbi, silently, without notice.  Everything was grand, until......
  • Some of these silent updates caused horrible problems for some customers (not all), and the Help Line and community forum lit up with complaints.  So, Netgear appeared to change direction.  Now, the Orbi would announce firmware updates and customers could decide to install them (or not).
  • That did not go so well, either.  Several of these "announced" updates had unexpected consequences, with another chorus of complaints.
  • The situation today "appears to be" (because no one seems to be able to point to an "official" statement from Netgear), that Netgear will publish new firmware on the Support web site and users can discover it and manually install it if they want to.  Then, the responsibility is squarely on the customer.
  • There is a suggestion that if a firmware update becomes critical (a horrible security patch that MUST be installed, or something) that Netgear might once again silently push an update without warning.  But, no one will know if this will happen until it does. Nobody knows.

Enough to make your head spin?  (It does mine.)  For my Orbi RBR50, firmware 2.5.1.16 has been out for about two months and I may decide "what the hell" and install it manually sometime soon.  (Or..... not yet.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7