Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why wired backhaul (with THIS product)?

lowepg
Apprentice

Why wired backhaul (with THIS product)?

I must be missing some reason- because it doesnt make sense to me.

If my home was wired with cat6, I wouldnt worry about dealing with Netgear's (fake) mesh. I'd be happy as a clam as id be able to run some kick-ass AP's like Ubiquities.

What am I missing here? What's the advantage of hardwiring Orbi?

Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

You're not missing anything. Wired backhaul on a product designed from the ground up with a kick-ass wireless backhaul just doesn't make sense. That wireless backhaul is a big fraction of the cost. It's a waste to not use it.

But there were just too many people thinking they wanted it, and competitors that were doing it, that Netgear had no choice but to put it in.

As you said, there are many other more effective and cheaper solutions.
Message 2 of 3
lowepg
Apprentice

Well, I really wish they would have focussed on critical functionality (you know- like passwords working, routers not rebooting  and satelites staying connected) rather than "me too" features that are useless....

I've been doing the math this week (while waiting for Netgear to fix this thing) on how much it would cost to have a handymay pull wires threough all 3 floors of our house. I'm starting to think the premium I paid for Orbi is going to come damn close to a superior hardwired solution....that works.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7