Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wi-Fi calling drops and reconnects continously

XBond
Apprentice

Wi-Fi calling drops and reconnects continously

I see other posts on this issue, but wondering if anyone has updated/recent information on this issue.

I have an Orbi RBR50 with a single satelite. The router sits on my desk, and my iPhone 11 Pro Max is no more than 5 feet from the router. The iPhone is connected to the router.

I have T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling enabled. The connection drops/reconnects constantly which is extremely annoying as it happens frequently while during a call. The same issue happened with my iPhone 8.

Settings attached.

Router and satelite running latest firmware v2.3.5.50.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
XBond
Apprentice

Turning off Daisy Chaining and Enabling Fast Roaming has made a huge difference.

Wi-Fi calling still drops out once in a while but not nearly as frequently.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How long have you had this problem?  Has you network ever worked fine?

What type/model modem?

Message 2 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

My network works flawlessly in general. I have never had an issue with my setup. Wi-Fi speeds are fantastic and consistent.

I have had this issue for the past year since we switched to T-Mobile. Did not have Wi-Fi calling with our prior carrier.

Using an XFinity cable modem in bridge mode.

Message 3 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK...sounds good.

Glad things are working other than wifi calling.

There have been some issues with v2.3.5.50.   Did you install it manually or was it pushed automatically?

If others don't chime in here you may want to do a search on wifi calling.

Message 4 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

The fw update was pushed automatically, but I believe this issue has been happening since prior to that release.

I did do a search on Wi-Fi calling, but unfortunately nothing concrete came up. Just a lot of try this, try that, might help, might not.

I have not done a factory reset and would rather not have to if I can avoid it.

Message 5 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@XBond wrote:

Settings attached.

Regarding the settings: (a) with only a single satellite, Daisy Chain is not required.  Daisy Chain "on" is the default setting so that purchasers of additional satellites find that "they just work."  (b) "Fast Roaming" works for me.  Here, I am assuming that the WiFi calling drops out while you sit still (not moving around), so this is not a "solution", but simply an observation.  Firmware 2.3.5.30 is from last May-June.  The new release, 2.5.0.38 is a "mixed bag."  There are many things to find fault with (just browse any of the message threads with 2.5.0.38 in the title).  After looking at the complaints and making a backup of your configuration, you might upgrade the firmware and see (a) if you can live with it, and (b) if it solves your WiFi calling issue.  I would download the firmware for 2.3.5.30 (router and satellite) so that you can "go back". With a configuration backup, going back is not too difficult:  do manual firmware updates, use the paperclip to "factory reset", then upload the saved configuration.

I agree with @Retired_Member that you are more likely to find a resolution if T-Mobile is listed on the subject line or in a T-Mobile forum.

Message 6 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

Note that my version is 2.3.5.50 and not 2.3.5.30/38.

Are you suggesting rolling back that far?
Message 7 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

Ignore that. Duh, of course I have 2.3.5.30.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@XBond wrote:

I see other posts on this issue, but wondering if anyone has updated/recent information on this issue.

I have an Orbi RBR50 with a single satelite. The router sits on my desk, and my iPhone 11 Pro Max is no more than 5 feet from the router. The iPhone is connected to the router.

I have T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling enabled. The connection drops/reconnects constantly which is extremely annoying as it happens frequently while during a call. The same issue happened with my iPhone 8.

Settings attached.

Message 9 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@XBond wrote:

Settings attached.

what more questions and questions.....!!!!

Message 10 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

The distance is greater than that, but I do not have a general Wi-Fi issue. In fact, the Wi-Fi signal is fantastic throughout the house - max speeds at all locations. The only issue is with the Wi-Fi calling. And it happens when the phone is literally 3 feet from the router and connected to it.

Beamforming, MIMO and WMM are all enabled.

Armor, Daisy Chain, IPv6 are all disabled.

I had Fast Roaming disabled, enabled it - neither made a difference.

I do not see 'Circle'?

2.4GHz channel is set to auto, but 5Ghz ius set to 48.

Enable 20/40MHz is disabled.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Does disabling of Beamforming and or MIMO change change anything? 

What iOS versions is loaded on the phone? 

@XBond wrote:

The distance is greater than that, but I do not have a general Wi-Fi issue. In fact, the Wi-Fi signal is fantastic throughout the house - max speeds at all locations. The only issue is with the Wi-Fi calling. And it happens when the phone is literally 3 feet from the router and connected to it.

Beamforming, MIMO and WMM are all enabled.

Armor, Daisy Chain, IPv6 are all disabled.

I had Fast Roaming disabled, enabled it - neither made a difference.

I do not see 'Circle'?

2.4GHz channel is set to auto, but 5Ghz ius set to 48.

Enable 20/40MHz is disabled.

Message 12 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

But didn't you say to enable them? Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, was checking to see if they changed the behavior if they were disabled...

Message 14 of 19
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@XBond,

Try to turn off celular on the phone to prevent it from switching between celular/WiFi, i.e., forcing it to stay on WiFi calling.  If you've already tried this, please ignore.

Message 15 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

Turning off Daisy Chaining and Enabling Fast Roaming has made a huge difference.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Also did you try turning off celluar features as suggested to see if this also helps? 

You also might set up an IP address reservation for your phone(s) ON the RBR as well. Under Advanced tab/Settings/LAN Setup. 

Glad its working better for you. 

@XBond wrote:

Message 17 of 19
XBond
Apprentice

I did not try turning off cellular features as it is not really a long-term viable solution for the household. Smiley Happy

I might try the IP reservation if the current situation is not workable, but so far it is working well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the suggestions work though. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7