Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wi-Fi speeds Not as Advertised?

MillerM
Tutor

Wi-Fi speeds Not as Advertised?

I purchased the RBK53 system (RBR50 plus two RBS50 satellites). I added two additional RBS50 satellites for a total of 4 satellites. The install was successful with all components listed in Orbi Network map and device manager. Speedtest for wired connection is 400+ Mbps (I have a 400Mbps up / 10Mbps down broadband plan) Speedtest for Wi-Fi connection is only 93Mbps down / 10Mbps up. Shouldn't this mesh Wi-Fi system that advertises 3Gbps Wi-Fi speed capability provide the same 400up/10down for wireless connections as wired? Is the RBK50 system needed for faster Wi-Fi speeds? A comparison of the two systems appears to indicate that the RBK53 I purchased is better with 6-antenna satellites rather than the RBK50 satellite's 4-antenna config. The only RBK50 feature missing on the RBK53 is Alexa cvompatibility if I'm reading the specs correctly. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MillerM
Tutor

Re: Wi-Fi speeds Not as Advertised?

Finally tracked down the issue. Bad Orbi included cat5e cable. Swapped it out for a cat6 cable and the ISP modem hardware LAN port immediately auto-negotiated to 1000Mbps. Physical layer 1. Should have started there rather than layer 4, 3, 2 ...  Basic networking 101 failure on my part. In my defense - network training was over 20 years ago 🙂

Now getting my full 477Mbps download speeds on all gigabit-enabled devices I've tested so far

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What wireless devices are you using to speed test with? 

Try speed testing with just 1 satellite connected at 30 feet in between the base and satellite. Be sure to turn OFF the wifi on the mobile device, move close to the satellite, then turn ON the wifi on the mobile device, then speed test. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
MillerM
Tutor

What FW is currently loaded?  v2.2.1.210

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?   Arris TG1682G

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 

Router operating mode 

What wireless devices are you using to speed test with? 

MBA13 / Gigabit ethernet / 802.11ac / osX v10.14.3   +   2019 iPhone Xs Max / iOS v12.1.4

Try speed testing with just 1 satellite connected at 30 feet in between the base and satellite. Be sure to turn OFF the wifi on the mobile device, move close to the satellite, then turn ON the wifi on the mobile device, then speed test.  81 down / 9.5 up on Satellite-4

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1915 sq ft

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Home is constructed with 16-inch off-center 2x4 framed / drywall covered interior walls

Satellite-1 is 40-ft from RBR50 open area (few obstructions between)

Sat-2 is 15-ft from RBR50  / bedroom - wall between

Sat-3 is 22-ft from RBR50  / bedroom - wall between

Sat-4 is 30-ft from RBR50  / garage - wall and door between

2 satellites are closer than 30 feet from each other / 20ft apart - wall between

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Current

2.4Ghz = Auto ( 8(P) + 4(S) )     /  up to 400 Mbps mode

5Ghz = 36+40+44+48(P)     /  up to 866.7 Mbps mode

Changed to:

2.4Ghz = 1, 4, 6, 11

5Ghz = 36, 40, 44

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? No

What WPA security modes are you using?  WPA2-PSK (AES)

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO  Completed

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)

Above setting changes completed and tested

None of the above setting changes had any effect on Wi-Fi speeds but did cause the Orbi router to be no longer accessible by entering its IP address in the browser URL

The RBR50 Orbi router is directly connected to the ISP modem. A speed test when wired directly to the RBR50 Orbi router was 90 down / 10 up. Same speed as all wi-fi connected devices irrespective of age. Seems like the limitation is between the modem and Orbi router connection

Speed tests returned 477 Mbps down / 10.5 Mbps up when wired directly to the ISP modem

Message 3 of 8
MillerM
Tutor

Finally tracked down the issue. Bad Orbi included cat5e cable. Swapped it out for a cat6 cable and the ISP modem hardware LAN port immediately auto-negotiated to 1000Mbps. Physical layer 1. Should have started there rather than layer 4, 3, 2 ...  Basic networking 101 failure on my part. In my defense - network training was over 20 years ago 🙂

Now getting my full 477Mbps download speeds on all gigabit-enabled devices I've tested so far

Message 4 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

I suggest updating that firmware to the newest release (.38).  You will probably enjoy higher backhaul stability as well as a few other perks.  Very important for your setup considering the number of satellites you have.

You can search for the downloads for the firmware on here.  

Upgrade the satellites (all of them) first.  

Upgrade the router to the intermediate firmware first and then upgrade the router to the final version (.38)

Let us know if you have any questions.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah yes, bad lan cable. Some in box cables are not the greatest. Cal the new cable fixed this. 

Please update to v32 when you get a chance:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now-available/td-p/...

Update the satellies FIRST, then the RBR lastly. 

@MillerM wrote:

Message 6 of 8
MillerM
Tutor

When I check for FW updates in the Orbi app or logged in online it indicates it's up to date and there are no new FW releases

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please check the NG download site for updates. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK53.aspx#download

@MillerM wrote:

When I check for FW updates in the Orbi app or logged in online it indicates it's up to date and there are no new FW releases

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7