Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Channel

bryanchuah17
Tutor

WiFi Channel

I have a question regarding for the WiFi Channel. Previously I am using channel 11 for 2.4GHz and channel 48 for 5GHz but then I tried to change the WiFi channel which is not congested to channel 6 for 2.4GHz and channel 44 for 5Ghz. After changed, it pop out “Per WiFi Alliance Guidelines for 40Mhz and 20Mhz coexistence, even if you select “up to 400mbps” mode, your product’s service rate might drop to 20MHz. This typically corresponds to 192Mbps performance.”
Should I ignore it or? Because there’s no other choices.
Second question: The WiFi channel is it any channel also can use? Or is there any strong channel recommended? I do checked for the WiFi Analyzer. As I’m afraid after changing the channel
Thanks, will appreciate your response!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi Channel

People requently change the channel for wifi. nothing to fear with trying different channels to see what works the best. 

Reason you get that notice is the 2.4ghz is so congested. So theres 20/40hz coexistance built in. Meaning it can switch from a 40hz wide channel to a 20hz wide channel if there's interference or overlap. You can disable this but I wouldn't recommend it as its kind of an a**hole move to your neighbors if you live around other wireless signals.

The 2.4ghz network is much slower and devices that are needing more speed will more than likely be moved to the 5ghz band by the orbi anyway. Not always but orbi does a decent job of managing this. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@bryanchuah17 wrote:
Second question: The WiFi channel is it any channel also can use? Or is there any strong channel recommended? I do checked for the WiFi Analyzer. As I’m afraid after changing the channel

Modern WiFi networks typically perform a scan periodically to see which channel offers the best performance and switch to that channel automatically.  That is what the "Auto" setting means.  Alas, your neighbors' WiFi systems are doing the same thing.  One of the pitfalls of using WiFi "analyzer" apps is that they will detect your own Orbi WiFi system as being "congested".  There are powerful WiFi access points really close to the analyzer that have strong signals.  If you truly want to search for the "least congested" channel, then your own Orbi needs to be shut off first.  (My family would do unpleasant things to me were I to do that.)

When 2.4G WiFi first came out, corporate environments were often mapped out to place adjacent WiFi access points on channels that have "no overlap".  Of the 11 channels available in the US, only 1, 6, and 11 have zero overlap with each other.  (With the benefit of hindsight, this design seems really unfortunate.)  The practice of using only 1, 6, and 11 has evolved into an urban legand that 2.4G WiFi should only be set to one of those three channels.  But, what if all the WiFi systems near you are set to 1, 6, and 11?

For myself, leaving the Orbi to decide which channel works best has proved effective.  There is no harm at all in experimenting with different WiFi channels.

Message 3 of 6
bryanchuah17
Tutor

Woah, thanks for your clear explanation. Conclusion, for 2.4Ghz channel let it be Auto, and how about 5GHz WiFi? When every time I changed the 5GHz WiFi channel it will appear Per WiFi Alliance guidelines for 40MHz and 20 MHZ coexistence, even if you “up to 400mpbs” mode, your product might drop to 20Mhz. This typically corresponds to 192 Mbps performance”
What should I do with that?
Message 4 of 6
bryanchuah17
Tutor

I see... thanks for your response. So should I just leave it at there whenever I see this notice? Is it any channel also can change right? if I see that the channel is not congested
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

My understanding is that this is simply alerting the user to "the WiFi rules".  Similar to when you see a sign "Traffic fines are doubled in construction zones."  I believe the choice is "allow co-existence to get the highest maximum speed when possible (400) or say, "nope, I'm going with 192 all the time thank you".  (Or, I could have it backwards.)  I just don't mess with it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7