Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Range

TominVirginia
Follower

WiFi Range

I have the RBK50 system in my home.  I have located the sat in a second floor room around 50ft away from the router.  The connection between the two is fine.

The sat is positioned on the outside wall in a glass window with an unobstructed "view" of the back yard.  When I stand in the year around 50' from the house in the backyard I have marginal signal.  Is there a usable "range" or maybe can someone explain the radiation pattern of the AP that might effect the usable range I am experiencing.

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WiFi Range

50 feet from the house is kind of out side great signal range. You seeing is what you get out of these home units. Ranges are designed for inside the house and depending upon building materials and such, range out side would be optimal up to about 20-30 feet. Usually wifi shuldn't be maxing out out side as foot print would interfere with other nieghbors. Granted there should be some singal outside, however the range will be limted as you go farther out. If you need additional range at farther distances, then you'll have to install a outdoor wireless AP for this.

Message 2 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@TominVirginia wrote:

I have the RBK50 system in my home.  I have located the sat in a second floor room around 50ft away from the router.  The connection between the two is fine.

The sat is positioned on the outside wall in a glass window with an unobstructed "view" of the back yard.  When I stand in the year around 50' from the house in the backyard I have marginal signal.  Is there a usable "range" or maybe can someone explain the radiation pattern of the AP that might effect the usable range I am experiencing.

Thanks

I can get a usable signal 500' away from my house, with the Orbis inside the house.  My windows are double-pane Andersens that were installed in 1989.  Sounds like you may have low-e glass or glass with a similar energy efficient coating that can attenuate the WiFi signal.

NETGEAR makes an outdoor Orbi that you could hang on the outside of your house.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

something else to consider.....how many of your neighbors are on the same or nearby channel as you?

Message 4 of 5
tsig
Luminary

Low e argon filled will attenuate your signals.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7