Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Slow after 2-3 days until reboot?

FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

@reidtait wrote:

Stumbled upon this thread while Googling this very issue -- I'm experiencing the same behaviour. I'll notice that my wireless internet speeds are around 40 or 50 mbps download, and a reboot of the system through the web UI will cause the same test from the same device in the same location to get download speeds of 400 to 500 mbps seconds later. In my case, it's devices that are connected to the satelite (haven't done enough troubleshooting to know if it affects the router too), and only wireless devices. My Apple TV which is wired to the satelite will show 500 mbps download speeds even when the wireless speed tests are showing a slowdown, and running a speed test through the Orbi app also shows me speeds expected speeds. 

Message 51 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you see near spec speeds with wired connections or do they result in same slow down? 

@jeremyblewis wrote:

I'm just here to add that I see the same behavior described in this thread. I have Sonic fiber, with 500+ Mbps down/900+ MBps up when tested via orbi mobile app. After a router reboot, I see about 250 Mbps download speeds, but wait a few days and it's down to 40. Reboot the router, and right back to 250 Mbps. Firmware version v2.3.5.30

Message 52 of 158
reidtait
Tutor

Both the router and satelite are running firmware V2.3.5.30. The ISP modem is a Hitron CODA 4582 in bridge mode.

I live in a two-story townhouse that's about  150 sq. m. My router and sattelite are no more than 10 m apart, though they're on different levels of the house and have one or two walls between them. I don't think it's an issue with the wireless backhaul between the router and the satelite, as I'm getting the speeds I expect when I test on devices wired to the satelite. 

I've already played around with changing the wireless channels for both bands. I'm currently using channels 3 and 44 for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz respectively, as they were the least congested by other networks around me. No matter which channel I choose, I still get the wireless speed slowdowns described after 2-3 days. My neighbourhood is congested with wireless networks, my computer shows strong signals from at least twenty other networks. I've tried both enabling and disabling 20/40 MHz coexistance, and that setting does not make a difference.

Beamforming, MIMI, and WMM are all enabled, and disabling any one of them has not solved the issue. None of Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, or IPv6 are enabled. I performed a factory reset last week and am still observing the behaviour.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 53 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Primary channels you should be using is 1, 6 or 11. 13 if your in a Euro country. 

@reidtait wrote:

Both the router and satelite are running firmware V2.3.5.30. The ISP modem is a Hitron CODA 4582 in bridge mode.

I live in a two-story townhouse that's about  150 sq. m. My router and sattelite are no more than 10 m apart, though they're on different levels of the house and have one or two walls between them. I don't think it's an issue with the wireless backhaul between the router and the satelite, as I'm getting the speeds I expect when I test on devices wired to the satelite. 

I've already played around with changing the wireless channels for both bands. I'm currently using channels 3 and 44 for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz respectively, as they were the least congested by other networks around me. No matter which channel I choose, I still get the wireless speed slowdowns described after 2-3 days. My neighbourhood is congested with wireless networks, my computer shows strong signals from at least twenty other networks. I've tried both enabling and disabling 20/40 MHz coexistance, and that setting does not make a difference.

Beamforming, MIMI, and WMM are all enabled, and disabling any one of them has not solved the issue. None of Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, or IPv6 are enabled. I performed a factory reset last week and am still observing the behaviour.

Message 54 of 158
reidtait
Tutor

I'll switch my 2.4 GHz channel to one of 1, 6, or 11, but as I mentioned, I've tried what feels like any combination of channels to no avail. Regardless, when I'm experiencing these slowdowns, I'm on a device connected to the 5 GHz network. 

Message 55 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I have been playing around with this some more and I agree that the Satellite seems to be the problem for me as well. When my Wi-Fi drops down to 40 mbps, I can stand next to the Satellite, unplug it, and watch my speeds increase as my device then grabs signal from the Router. If I plug the satellite back in, the speeds go back down to 40 mbps. If I reboot everything, I go back to ~200 mbps for a few days.
I also agree that the backhaul isn’t the issue as I’m using a wired backhaul. Something in the Satellite seems to be affecting the entire Wi-Fi experience.
Message 56 of 158
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@apuddy wrote:
I have been playing around with this some more and I agree that the Satellite seems to be the problem for me as well. When my Wi-Fi drops down to 40 mbps, I can stand next to the Satellite, unplug it, and watch my speeds increase as my device then grabs signal from the Router. If I plug the satellite back in, the speeds go back down to 40 mbps. If I reboot everything, I go back to ~200 mbps for a few days.
I also agree that the backhaul isn’t the issue as I’m using a wired backhaul. Something in the Satellite seems to be affecting the entire Wi-Fi experience.

It could also be an interference between Orbi/Satellite, which could be a result of strong signal overlapping between same area of coverage.  I ran into something similar a while back while setting up my Orbi, not after a few days like others though.  I would lose half of the download speed from ~500Mbps to ~250Mbps.  I wasn't aware of this until I found Wi-Fi Sweetspots App.

Message 57 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

As @SW_ mentioned, you should find WiFi Sweet Spots on a mobile device and use it to help you find good connection rates between the RBR and RBS. 

@reidtait wrote:

I'll switch my 2.4 GHz channel to one of 1, 6, or 11, but as I mentioned, I've tried what feels like any combination of channels to no avail. Regardless, when I'm experiencing these slowdowns, I'm on a device connected to the 5 GHz network. 

Message 58 of 158
mkfein
Star

The only real solution I've seen so far is to put a mechanical timer on the router and have it turn itself off briefly every night (or maybe every other night).... I've yet to try to that, but I'm convinced no amount of tweaking channels and radio settings will solve this. It's something deeper in the firmware that needs to be addressed by Netgear.

Message 59 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Please file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

You may have a faulty system as well. Most users who see this, usually this is either a configuration, placement, interference or faulty system. In this these needs to be looked at by NG support. FW updates will probably not help since some have tried other versions and still exhibit the problem. Not everyone sees this issue. 

Make contact with NG support and go from there. 

@mkfein wrote:

The only real solution I've seen so far is to put a mechanical timer on the router and have it turn itself off briefly every night (or maybe every other night).... I've yet to try to that, but I'm convinced no amount of tweaking channels and radio settings will solve this. It's something deeper in the firmware that needs to be addressed by Netgear.

Message 60 of 158
mkfein
Star

I went down that route in August -- cases 41610397 and 41632522 -- Netgear support refused to help because my device was 5 months past the warranty period ending.

Message 61 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your unit is out of warranty, care to give this a try? 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/

@mkfein wrote:

I went down that route in August -- cases 41610397 and 41632522 -- Netgear support refused to help because my device was 5 months past the warranty period ending.

Message 62 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

I've been following these threads as I have been having the same issues - constant slow downs and reboots required.

Furrye38 - that link you sent - I think that is for the RBK50.  mkfein (and I) have the RBR50 - would that still work.  I am about ready to try anything at this point.

Message 63 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR50 and RBK50 are one in the same. The RBK50 has the RBR50 in the box. I have same RBK50 system. Have Voxels FW loaded on it. 

@cdnSpinalTap wrote:

I've been following these threads as I have been having the same issues - constant slow downs and reboots required.

Furrye38 - that link you sent - I think that is for the RBK50.  mkfein (and I) have the RBR50 - would that still work.  I am about ready to try anything at this point.

Message 64 of 158
apuddy
Guide

Did you load Voxel’s RBK50 firmware on both the router and satellite? Netgear’s website always lists the firmware for the router and satellite as separate zip files, although I have no idea if they are actually different.
Message 65 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Voxels .zip file included both FW files for the RBR50 and the RBS 50. This includes the RBK50 and RBK53 systems 

@apuddy wrote:
Did you load Voxel’s RBK50 firmware on both the router and satellite? Netgear’s website always lists the firmware for the router and satellite as separate zip files, although I have no idea if they are actually different.

Message 66 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

Thanks, that makes sense.

I have installed them as well and will see how things go.

Message 67 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Post over there on your experiences. Let Voxel know if you see any thing that doesn't work. Just be aware that he can't fix everything. If something is broke in the core NG code, he can't fix that. NG has too. Most other things he as access to, he'll check on it and attemp to fix if he can. 

@cdnSpinalTap wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense.

I have installed them as well and will see how things go.

Message 68 of 158
apuddy
Guide

Thank you.
Message 69 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

@apuddy wrote:
Thank you.

Message 70 of 158
apuddy
Guide

Voxel’s firmware didn’t seem to change anything for me, unfortunately. I did decide to purchase a Wi-Fi controlled outlet plug, which now turns the satellite off and on 4 times per week. Since installing it, I have noticed no issues. It connects to the router, so power reset of the satellite does not seem to be an issue with connectivity of the outlet plug. In any case, it’s been a well spent $10 for me.
Message 71 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBS is faulty then. Shouldn't need a power cycle. Glad the power cycle is working for you. Enjoy. 

Message 72 of 158
BytesnBits
Aspirant

Which outlet plug did you get?

I’ve had the same issues with my Orbi system and it started right after my HW warranty expired. Did all the suggestions folks on this thread/forum but to no success. Thinking going with the manual reboot option or just throwing the whole system away.
Message 73 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I got the following “Meross WiFi Smart Plug Mini, 16 Amp & Reliable Wifi Connection Powered by Mediatek Chipset, Alexa and Google Voice Control, App Remote Control, Timer, Occupies Only One Socket, No Hub Needed”.
Message 74 of 158
Hutch4
Initiate

Firmware - V2.3.5.30

Just an anecdotal observation.  I have been struggling with the 'every 2 -3 day slowdown' for well over a year.  I have done pretty much everything listed in this message list (74 and counting).  The slow down only happens with my main router, not the satellite.  I have multiple MACs in the same room as the main router.  They were all ethernet connected.  I noticed that they all had wifi turned on as well.  Turned off wifi on all of them and I have now gone 2 weeks with no slow down.  No idea why this has happened. I am loath to turn wifi back on to test if this is real or just a coincidence.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 75 of 158
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7