Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Slow after 2-3 days until reboot?

yototogblo
Tutor

I should also note that I currently have the RBK50V and I don't Voxel's firmware works on that satellite (RBS40V satellite).

Message 101 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, Voxels FW only works on the 50 series RBR and RBS. 

Anyways, if you can't get what you have working, I'd return it and get into someting that does. 

@yototogblo wrote:

I should also note that I currently have the RBK50V and I don't Voxel's firmware works on that satellite (RBS40V satellite).

Message 102 of 158
yototogblo
Tutor

@cdnSpinalTap wrote:

I hate to say it, but I gave up fighting with this thing.  I have tried everything - factory resets, new firmware, old firmware, custom firmware, changing channels based on local wifi signals, etc..  I even went so far as to spend 2 hours in my attic and basement getting a network cable up to the location where my satellite was - no help.  The number of speed reductions and connection drops was becoming increasingly frustrating.  Given I am out of my warranty period I have purchased the ASUS ZenWiFi AT8.

I am open minded enough that I will monitor the ASUS for similar behavior, and if it occurs, it would support the theory that there is something environmental or a problem with my infrastructure - and not with the Orbi itself.

Good luck everyone.

Did you try Voxel's firmware? Wondering if that also didn't work for you so I don't bother loading that on my RBR50 router. Were your speed reductions only on your satellite or also on the router? Also, sounds like both wireless and ethernet backhaul had the slowdown for you. I have wireless and wondering if ethernet might help but don't want to bother trying to set up ethernet backhaul if it won't solve the issue.

Thanks

Message 103 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

I did try various versions of Voxel's firmware, but it did not make any difference with the slowdowns and lost connections (this leads me to believe that it is hardware related or some other environmental factor, and not firmware).

My speed reductions were system wide.  Once it hit, it would essentially bring down the entire network - wired or wireless.  I have been running the last week without the satellite connected and we are still having the issue.

My results indicated that the wired backhaul did not make a difference.

ETA:  I will report back with my results using the ASUS system.

Message 104 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

Shot in the dark here - but do any of you experiencing issues have any devices from Shenzhen RF Technology Co., Ltd showing up on your network?  I switched my Orbi system out for an Asus system and it has been rock solid...until I added my weather station to the network.  The weather station connects as Shenzhen RF Technology Co., Ltd.  Again, I know it is a shot in the dark, but thought I would mention it.  I am going to keep it on my network for a while and see what happens.

Message 105 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

So your seeing problems when you connect this one device? Even with the Asus system? 

Would be interesting to see if you re-connected the Orbi system and left this one device off line to see if Orbi works better. 

@cdnSpinalTap wrote:

Shot in the dark here - but do any of you experiencing issues have any devices from Shenzhen RF Technology Co., Ltd showing up on your network?  I switched my Orbi system out for an Asus system and it has been rock solid...until I added my weather station to the network.  The weather station connects as Shenzhen RF Technology Co., Ltd.  Again, I know it is a shot in the dark, but thought I would mention it.  I am going to keep it on my network for a while and see what happens.

Message 106 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

As I mentioned, the system had been rock solid until a few hours after this device was attached.  I am continuing to monitor to try to narrow it down further.

Unfortunately I cannot install the Orbi system again, as I sold it a few days ago (with full disclaimer on the issues I was having).

Message 107 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be interesting to know if this one device could have been the cause. 

Message 108 of 158
yototogblo
Tutor

@cdnSpinalTap wrote:

Shot in the dark here - but do any of you experiencing issues have any devices from Shenzhen RF Technology Co., Ltd showing up on your network?

No such device on mine. 

I just got yet another Orbi RBK50V and it worked well for the first 5 days. Alas, this morning, slowdown occurred. I had installed 2.5.1.16 and reset the system before adding any devices. I had also removed some devices from the system (my brother moved out so fewer strain and devices). All of that didn't prevent a slowdown.

At this point, it's clear these devices are faulty. Time to finally call it quits. Tried the best I can.

Any recommendations for another mesh system?

Thanks

Message 109 of 158
cdnSpinalTap
Guide

Hello,

It sounds like you are at the same place I was - very frustrating indeed.

I went with an ASUS ZenWifi AX (XT8).  It got pretty good reviews overall, and it has performed well for me.  I do like the interface a lot better than the Orbi interface.  There is a lot more information presented and it is very configurable.

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and it has been pretty solid.  I did have one instance where my network came to a halt and it was shortly after I added a couple of new devices.  At the time I rebooted and the system has been solid again for about 7 days so far.  Regardless of the 1 incident I had, I am much happier with the performance and stability of this system.  Even the incident I had was different than the Orbi - the network just halted and did not progressively slow down.  Both irritating, but I would rather have a complete outage and deal with it rather than not noticing my network is degrading until I get dropped out of a Teams meeting or something.

Message 110 of 158
Sylvain24
Tutor

FYI i try the three last Voxel Firmware, and after 10 days, exatly the same issue: stick at 50Mb/s. After reboot, 450Mb/s.

Message 111 of 158
mrbrew
Initiate

I was never able to address the annoying drop to low speeds on my setup.  My next WiFi system will definitely not be an Orbi.

Message 112 of 158

Guys who did try Voxel firmware did it work for you? I too had upsetting performance by this multi-hundred device but after installing Voxel(satellites first then the router) I was saved and performance is superb.

Those who opted for a different manufacturer, which did you choose and how is the performance. Netgear hardware -is -faulty, i learned this after i purchased an expensive repeater that bricked after few uses(got replacement though).

Cant go with positive reviews of Asus ZenWifi because the Orbi too had thousands of positive reviews
Message 113 of 158
eehirsch
Guide

This is my exact issue as well. Even after the company RMAd the router and both my satellites - still have the same issue. This is definitely a defect with the product. Any progress?
Message 114 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

@Geddy007 Identical problem here (RBR20+2 RBS20). Full speed for 4-7 days, then drops to 40~45Mbps, but only to WiFi devices connected to the router, not the satellites (strange). I tried disconnecting every device to no avail, but I forgot two - the Samsung smart TV, and a little Netgear dongle that connects to the dish satellite box to download the guide info. I will definitely try those next...

I think you are the only one who actually solved this problem!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 115 of 158
Geddy007
Aspirant

Fingers crossed - let me know how it goes. I haven't had the problem since I blocked the TV.
Message 116 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

@Geddy007 I just disconnected the WiFi USB dongle and the Samsung Smart TV WiFI - no change in the speed.  I believe you said you had to reboot the router - so you didn't see the speed improvement right after the disconnections? Did you confirm the reboot was required? 

Message 117 of 158
Geddy007
Aspirant

Yes, I had to reboot the router after disconnecting the smart TV.  After that, it has stayed fast for me for months after that and didn't drop every few days any more.  

Message 118 of 158
southbay82
Aspirant

For the tech saavy on this thread who don't want to shell out another $400 for network gear.

A weekly reboot does the trick.  I have a raspberry pi at home, and setup a script to execute on the crontab and it's worked like a charm for a month. This script will log an entry to the system log with the prefix "[orbi]" if you wanted to see any history.

Crontab Entry - I keep this script in /opt/scripts/orbi, you can store it where you like.

#Sunday
30 6 * * 0 /opt/scripts/orbi/invoke-reboot-orbi.sh

Bash script below, found this on github and slightly modified. 

#!/bin/sh
#Parameters
ROOT_DIR=/opt/scripts/orbi
USER_PASS="your password"
LOGGER_TAG="[orbi]"
logger -t $LOGGER_TAG "Rebooting Orbi...."

#Clear previous cookie
rm $ROOT_DIR/orbi.cookie 2>/dev/null
rm $ROOT_DIR/reboot.htm 2>/dev/null

#Authenticate, get cookie, and token
wget -O $ROOT_DIR/reboot.htm --user admin --password $USER_PASS --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies $ROOT_DIR/orbi.cookie "http://192.168.1.1/reboot.htm"

#Parse token
temp_token=$(grep "apply" $ROOT_DIR/reboot.htm | cut -d"=" -f4 | cut -d "\"" -f1)

echo "temp_token = $temp_token"

#Execute the reboot
wget -O $ROOT_DIR/result --user admin --password $USER_PASS --load-cookies $ROOT_DIR/orbi.cookie --post-data "submit_flag=reboot&yes=Yes" "http://192.168.1.1/apply.cgi?/reboot_waiting.htm timestamp=$temp_token"

#Cleanup
rm $ROOT_DIR/orbi.cookie 2>/dev/null
rm $ROOT_DIR/reboot.htm 2>/dev/null
#rm $ROOT_DIR/result 2>/dev/null

#Touch tracker
touch $ROOT_DIR/last_run

#Return to previous path
exit 0

Message 119 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

Thanks for this, however it's sad that something like this is needed.

Message 120 of 158
jeremyblewis
Aspirant

I've experienced the same issues described in this thread, namely my WiFi connections slowing to ~40 Mbps every week or so. However, the issue disappeared after updating my firmware to v2.7.0.70 about two months ago. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062320/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-0-70

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 121 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres a more recent verson of v2.7 as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

@jeremyblewis wrote:

I've experienced the same issues described in this thread, namely my WiFi connections slowing to ~40 Mbps every week or so. However, the issue disappeared after updating my firmware to v2.7.0.70 about two months ago. 

Message 122 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

@jeremyblewis wrote:

Thanks for this, however I've got an RBR20/RBS20 experiencing this problem, and the firmware for that hasn't updated since April (2.5.1.16). If it is a firmware bug common to both models I sure hope they update my model.

Message 123 of 158
Peter_summer
Aspirant

Same issue here, every 2 weeks I need to reboot the orby router. Internet speed is 40MB of 200MB.

After reboot the speed is ok for a few weeks.

FW: V2.5.2.4

Router RBR50

I alreday reset alle the settings to default , and set-up the router the default.

This did not help to solve the issue.

I hope netgear is taking this issue verry sirous. I alreday tried all the solutions in the forems. Nothing is solving my issue.

Message 124 of 158
Peter_summer
Aspirant

Today I installed my firmware to v2.7.0.70.

Lets hope this will solve the issue.

Message 125 of 158
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7