Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Slow after 2-3 days until reboot?

eehirsch
Guide

I have an RBR50v2 and two satellites. Same problem. Has the whole system RMAd and no difference. I finally gave up and put the router on a smart switch which turns it off every night at 4am for one minute. That "fixed" the problem. We should all file a class action suit to get our money back, considering Netgear Customer Service refuses to replace this with another model that does not have this issue. Anyone interested?
Message 126 of 158
alokeprasad
Mentor

Sounds like a memory leak (slow decline fixed by a reboot). Pure speculation on my part, FWIW.

See if latest firmware fixes that.

RBK50v2 downloads at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50v2#download

RBK50 downloads at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

Be aware by reading other threads here of the problems encountered by people doing manual updates.  There's some assurance if you are within the warranty period.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Any-special-instructions-for-downgrading-firmware/m-p/2032503#...

Message 127 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

I may have made progress on this. After examing/disconnecting/reconnecting all WiFi devices on the network, I had forgotten about the small NETGEAR USB WiFi adapter (WNDA3100v2) dongle, which is connected to a Dish Network satellite VIP 722k box for the purpose of updating the program guide at 3am every morning. It's hidden behind the TV so easy to forget about.

I disconnected/reconnected it, and went into the network config screen for the adapter in the Dish Network box. I saw four copies of my WiFi network SSID (same exact string) - two for 2.4GHz, and 2 for 5GHz. I wondered why there were two copies of the SSID. I can only guess that it sees the main channel, and also the satellite backhaul channel as separate networks? I don't know.

In any case, I changed the SSID to the other 5 GHz copy (same name) and since then have not seen the slow down (it's been weeks).

If this was causing the problem, quite ironic that the adapter is by NETGEAR.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 128 of 158
fc7737
Aspirant

I have simiar problem. 

I have Xfinity 100M internet service. My Orbi mesh router wireless attached devices become very slow speed every 7-10 days. They run less than 10-30mb/s when that happen.  Wire attached devices are running fine.

After upgraded to V2.7.2.102, problem still exist...  Now it happens consistanty every 2-3 days. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 129 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwarding-doesn-t-work/td-p/198...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@fc7737 wrote:

I have simiar problem. 

I have Xfinity 100M internet service. My Orbi mesh router wireless attached devices become very slow speed every 7-10 days. They run less than 10-30mb/s when that happen.  Wire attached devices are running fine.

After upgraded to V2.7.2.102, problem still exist...  Now it happens consistanty every 2-3 days. 

Message 130 of 158
Tbsteph
Star

Dear Furry - This thread has been going on for about 1.5 years. Why do you feel the need to post your same canned response to this issue? It is not helpful or very enlightening.

At this point I believe it is readily obvious the RBR 50 has a significant problem for some users regarding wifi speeds dropping for no apparent reason. This issue has continued to plague many users through multiple firmware updates.  Turning on/off various setting, hard resets, etc. does nothing to solve this problem (As indicated by many posts herein.). 

Sorry for the rant but the tone of your post seems to want to blame the user for something Netgear should analyze and provide a fix.

Message 131 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Post is for new users, not for ones that have already responded. Each new user may have a different system and configurations. So were asking for feedback from new users. 

Thank you. 

Message 132 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

@Tbsteph wrote:

Dear Furry - This thread has been going on for about 1.5 years. Why do you feel the need to post your same canned response to this issue? It is not helpful or very enlightening.

At this point I believe it is readily obvious the RBR 50 has a significant problem for some users regarding wifi speeds dropping for no apparent reason. This issue has continued to plague many users through multiple firmware updates.  Turning on/off various setting, hard resets, etc. does nothing to solve this problem (As indicated by many posts herein.). 

I have also experienced this on my RBR20, so it's not just your model. I suspect our models have some common HW/SW so the issue impacts multiple models. This is no surprise as every company does this; they don't design a similar model from scratch.

In any case, I suggest you start looking at every device that connects to the router - reset it, check it's network connection and SSID, reboot it, etc. I'm my case, I had a small Wi-Fi dongle that my satellite dish provider uses to download program guide updates and provide PPV. It's buried behind the satellite box so I forgot about it. I disconnected/reconnected the dongle, and re-entered the Orbi SSID into the satellite receiver, and since then I have not experienced the slowdown. My theory is the dongle somehow filled up some buffer after a few days and the slowdown happens. Just a theory...

The irony? The USB WiFi dongle is made by - NETGEAR.

Anyway - start looking at all the devices in your chain.

Message 133 of 158
fc7737
Aspirant

Hi Furry,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, I have hard reset my Orbi every time I updated my FW.

NG online support suggested the following:

1. Select channel 11 for the 2.4 GHz and channel 48 for the 5 GHz.

2. In the WAN MTU Size field, enter 1479

After applied the changes, the wireless devices speed went back to 100M - possible due to wireless part got reset after config change.

However after 24-48hrs, my wireless devices speed went back to 25-30M...

I have provided my feedback back to NG support and waiting for reply..

Message 134 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Ask about an RMA as well. 

@fc7737 wrote:

Hi Furry,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, I have hard reset my Orbi every time I updated my FW.

NG online support suggested the following:

1. Select channel 11 for the 2.4 GHz and channel 48 for the 5 GHz.

2. In the WAN MTU Size field, enter 1479

After applied the changes, the wireless devices speed went back to 100M - possible due to wireless part got reset after config change.

However after 24-48hrs, my wireless devices speed went back to 25-30M...

I have provided my feedback back to NG support and waiting for reply..

Message 135 of 158
Peter_summer
Aspirant

Update v2.7.0.70. makes no sence.

I tryd this a few weeks. After 7 / 8 days the speeds goas back to 40 /-- 50 Mbs. in stead of 200.

I am considering selling this product.

You no longer have support after 3 months.

An expensive product that malfunctions.

Never expected this during my purchase!

Message 136 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a more recent version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

Perhaps your units has been fust faulty from the start. Something to contact NG suport about to see what your options are. 

Good Luck. 

@Peter_summer wrote:

I tryd this a few weeks. After 7 / 8 days the speeds goas back to 40 /-- 50 Mbs. in stead of 200.

Message 137 of 158
eehirsch
Guide

I had my unit replaced by Netgear about a month ago.  They replaced the router and two sattelites with remanufactured versions.  It made no difference.  The same problem recurred with the "new" devices.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There is a more recent version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

Perhaps your units has been fust faulty from the start. Something to contact NG suport about to see what your options are. 

Good Luck. 

@Peter_summer wrote:

Message 138 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to keep in contact with NG about. If you've tried everything and recent FW, then not much else we can help with here. 

@eehirsch wrote:

I had my unit replaced by Netgear about a month ago.  They replaced the router and two sattelites with remanufactured versions.  It made no difference.  The same problem recurred with the "new" devices.

@Blanca_O 

Message 139 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

I have already resolved this exact problem on my RBR20.

You must check every device on your Wi-Fi network. I would try to isolate a device that is possibly saturating the network and filling a buffer on the router. Try rebooting, disconnecting and reconnecting the SSID.  Look particularly at smart TVs, Google/Alexa smart speakers, etc. vs. phones and laptops. In my case, I had a NETGEAR wi-fi dongle that was connected to my satellite dish box. It had not been disconnected since my last two routers. I disconnected/reconnected it and reassigned it to the Orbi wifi SSID thru my satellite dish box. After that, I no longer saw the slow 40-50Mbps speed drop, and speeds are now consistent.

I believe that the Orbi router does not handle this well, and a buffer gets filled and not emptied.

Message 140 of 158

You are completely right, I didn't buy stuff like TP Link Deco for $130 because surely this $300 NetGear device is the high quality stuff, plus its been out since 2016 all the bugs must have been fixed!

All I get is random disconnections and issues. I spent hours trying to fix this thing. I am telling everyone I know not to buy NetGear now. Routers are like printers, they kind of all suck unless you probably buy corporate stuff like Aruba or Meraki which has ludicrous prices(or subscritpion).

After many months of research the safest bet seems to be ZenMesh by Asus.

Message 141 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

My  Orbi 50 series works well. No slow downs. Many factors that can cause wifi slow downs. No just FW. 

Message 142 of 158
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Just want to add that as of August 2021, this issue still exists on my RBR50. 

Doesn't matter what I do, Wifi speed will be only 25% of my ISP speed (U-verse -->120 Mbps)  after 1-2 days.

Everything I have tried:

1). Tested with AT&T U-verse and Xfinity modems (I have both services)

2). Reboot and reset router and modems.

3). Firmware updates

4). Tried every possible wifi configuration (e.g. Disable / Enable Mimo, beamforming, change channel, etc.), reboot and unplug / plug router

5). Removed all devices and just have 1 device connected (laptop) and test the connection.

6). Test done through Google speed test, Fast.com and Speedtest.net and other sites

7). Speed test done with 4 MacBooks, 3 Windows laptops, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones and 4 Samsung phones.

6). Tried this over a course of a few weeks

You know what fixed it?

I borrowed my friend old ASUS router (RT-AX3000), configured it with the same SSID and number of devices and in the last couple days, NO wifi speed is halved across all 17 mobile devices and dozens IoT.

So with different router, I know it is NOT an issue with:

1). ISP modems

2). My devices (AppleTV, Mac, iPhone, smart vacuum, etc)

It's Netgear RBR50... 

Just posting this to provide updates in case someone searched or Google this.

Message 143 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

Just want to add that as of August 2021, this issue still exists on my RBR50. 

Doesn't matter what I do, Wifi speed will be only 25% of my ISP speed (U-verse -->120 Mbps)  after 1-2 days.

Everything I have tried:

1). Tested with AT&T U-verse and Xfinity modems (I have both services)

2). Reboot and reset router and modems.

3). Firmware updates

4). Tried every possible wifi configuration (e.g. Disable / Enable Mimo, beamforming, change channel, etc.), reboot and unplug / plug router

5). Removed all devices and just have 1 device connected (laptop) and test the connection.

6). Test done through Google speed test, Fast.com and Speedtest.net and other sites

7). Speed test done with 4 MacBooks, 3 Windows laptops, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones and 4 Samsung phones.

6). Tried this over a course of a few weeks

You know what fixed it?

I borrowed my friend old ASUS router (RT-AX3000), configured it with the same SSID and number of devices and in the last couple days, NO wifi speed is halved across all 17 mobile devices and dozens IoT.

So with different router, I know it is NOT an issue with:

1). ISP modems

2). My devices (AppleTV, Mac, iPhone, smart vacuum, etc)

It's Netgear RBR50... 

Just posting this to provide updates in case someone searched or Google this.

Message 144 of 158
orbcad
Guide

I have the exact same problem with my Orbi. About 3 or 4 days then speeds on the main router tank to 35mbps.

Only reboot fixes it. Very frustrating for such an expensive device. I had a cheap router before this that I needed to reboot 4 or 5 times a YEAR.
Message 145 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@orbcad wrote:
I have the exact same problem with my Orbi. About 3 or 4 days then speeds on the main router tank to 35mbps.

Only reboot fixes it. Very frustrating for such an expensive device. I had a cheap router before this that I needed to reboot 4 or 5 times a YEAR.

Message 146 of 158
ztztzt8888
Aspirant

I am not sure if it's the same root cause as others'. The speed recovered after I turned IPv6 back on. For some reason I initally turned it off. You can test yours here http://test-ipv6.com/

Message 147 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Would only be needed if your ISP supports IPv6. 

@ztztzt8888 wrote:

I am not sure if it's the same root cause as others'. The speed recovered after I turned IPv6 back on. For some reason I initally turned it off. You can test yours here http://test-ipv6.com/

Message 148 of 158
ztztzt8888
Aspirant

I found that my new iPhone 13 pro is much slower than my iMac, and it looks like turning off MU-MIMO solved the issue.

Message 149 of 158
apuddy
Guide

Anyone else using firmware V2.7.3.22? I installed this a while back and the slow down issue is no longer present for me. This was a major frustration for me for a long time, but it hasn’t happened again to me on this firmware. As far as I know, I have not changed any settings other than changing to that firmware.
Message 150 of 158
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7