Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Speed issue

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StuMcBill wrote:

I don't have a huge amount to reconfigure if I factory reset, but it still fills me with dread, as I'd have a load of devices to reconnect (if I had the same SSID and password, would they need reconfigured?)

If I do the speedtest via the orbi menu item, it shows exactly what I'm paying for, but when connected via WiFi or cable its showing max 90Mb.  Netflix speed test via Amazon Firestick shows 70Mb.

I've just downloaded an app called WiFi Sweetspots on iOS, which shows the speed I'm connected to the router, and its showing an average of 300.5Mbps?

Any further ideas?

Since you can get the expected speed via Orbi Menu and 300.5Mbps via Sweetspots App.  It implies that there's a problem with Orbi itself.  If you're running out of option, find a paper clip and stick into the back of Orbi until it blinks amber.  Disconnect and power off all Satellites.  Setup the Orbi from scratch and start testing it with default SSID and default settings.

Verify that your iPhone is connected to 5GHz and check its link rate via Orbi App.   Open Orbi App and on the Devices, tab on iPhone icon, it should show a Link Rates of 866Mbps.  Then try this again:

• Run speedtest via Orbi App
  • Run speedtest via Sweetspots App

Message 26 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

...and remove all LAN cables from Orbi LAN ports prior to setup/testing Orbi.

Message 27 of 49
CrimpOn
Guru

When I read the description of Sweetspots, it appears to be measuring the connection between iPhone and the WiFi router, and has nothing to do with the ISP connection.

And, yes, when doing a factory reset, the new setup should have exactly the same WiFi name and password so that devices will connect automatically.
Message 28 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:
When I read the description of Sweetspots, it appears to be measuring the connection between iPhone and the WiFi router, and has nothing to do with the ISP connection.

Yes @CrimpOn, you're right about what Sweetspots App is all about.  Also, your assumption about Sweetspots and ISP is also correct, but that's NOT what my previous post is about.  In case it's still confusing, I'll try to clarify it here:

From @StuMcBill's test rerults, it's pretty clear that there's no issue going between Orbi <-> ISP (Orbi App Speedtest) and iPhone <-> Orbi WiFi (Sweetspots App), hence the issue could be internal to Orbi itself, which is the reason for the suggestion to go nuclear with paper clip reset.

Message 29 of 49
CrimpOn
Guru

You are right. There is nothing else to try.
Message 30 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

I already did the paper clip reset when I changed to AP mode and couldn’t access the web interface.

I input the same SSID and password so everything connected again straight away. Still no difference.

Is it worth doing it again?
Message 31 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StuMcBill wrote:
I already did the paper clip reset when I changed to AP mode and couldn’t access the web interface.

I input the same SSID and password so everything connected again straight away. Still no difference.

Is it worth doing it again?

It's one last thing to try before giving up on it.  This time, do not change any config/settting, i.e., default and don't resuse the same SSID in order to prevent all clients from connecting other than your iPhone.

Message 32 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

Just done it, still no change, nothing connected except my iPhone.  Still getting anything between 18 and 60Mb download speed.

Going to try my nighthawk with DD-WRT installed, and my ISP provided router if I can find it, and see how that goes.

If I get my advertised speeds with those, I may just use them for the time being until mesh networking matures somewhat.  I've seen that some other mesh wifi systems seem to struggle with PPPOE connections.

Cheers,
Stewart

Message 33 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

It is as if the iPhone is stuck with 20MHz transfer.  Can you check iPhone Link Rate?

If PPPoE is the issue, Orbi Menu speedtest will not go beyond 60Mbps either.  If iPhone link rate is at 866Mpbs and still not able to get pass 60Mbps, I would RMA the Orib.

Message 34 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

Just checked and the iPhone link rate is 78mbps on 2.4Ghz.

Is there anyway I can force it to 5Ghz?

Message 35 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StuMcBill wrote:
Just checked and the iPhone link rate is 78mbps on 2.4Ghz.

Is there anyway I can force it to 5Ghz?

Nice!

Try to tell iPhone to forget the exisitng network.  Disable 2.4Ghz broadcast on Orbi.  Reconnect and verify to see if will connect to 5Ghz.  If not, there's another option for force it to connect to 5GHz.

Message 36 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

Ok, I’ve done it, it’s still showing as connected to 2.4ghz but a 585Mbps link rate.

Getting 90 on speedtest.
Message 37 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's better, but still at 2.4GHz.  We need iPhone to connect to 5Ghz.  Can you enable Guest Network and give it a different SSID than the main network to see if iPhone will switch to 5GHz?

Message 38 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

Yeah I can do, should I renable 2.4 first?
Message 39 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just leave 2.4GHz broadcast disabled for now.

Message 40 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Guest has its own 2.4GHz/5GHz broadcast, which is different than main network.   The iPhone should connect to new Guest 5GHz SSID unless something is fishy with the iPhone.  Just for good measure, can you reboot the iPhone too?

Message 41 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

So I should connect to the guest network? I seem to be on my main network on 5Ghz, but still getting similar speeds.

Just to note, I’ve already restored my old settings to my orbi so everything is connected again, barring the Ethernet kit.
Message 42 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

You might want to hold off on all other clients for now until you can verify that you're able to get the expected speed from iPhone itself via 5GHz.  Otherwise, it's going to be tricky...

Message 43 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

I’ll need to try again tomorrow.

Was going to say, the orbi is almost a year and a half old so may not be able to RMA it.
Message 44 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

If I can’t get this working, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. I’d probably try and sell it, but don’t want to do if it’s not working properly?

Stewart
Message 45 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you have many 2.4GHz devices on the network, disable 20/40GHz coexisting so that Orbi can increase its link rate from 192Mbps to 400Mbps for 2.4GHz.  I don't think your Orbi has gone bad given you can get 300Mbps with SweepSpots.  Even if 5GHz radio is bad, you can still get that above 150Mbps with 2.4GHz by disabling 20/40GHz coexisting.  Good Luck!

Message 46 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Here is my current wireless settings.  Try to apply the same wireless settings to your Orbi when you try again tomorrow.

v2.5.1.8 Wireless Settings.png

Message 47 of 49
CrimpOn
Guru

True. Hardware warranty is one year. Bummer.
Message 48 of 49
StuMcBill
Tutor

Turns out it was just the proximity to my printer that was causing the problem, must have been interfering.

Regardless, I've decided to go with eero now that its available in the UK!

Message 49 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7