Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi calling with AT&T Fiber Pace Router + Orbi : Caller can't hear me after ~10 secs

TyrionL
Apprentice

WiFi calling with AT&T Fiber Pace Router + Orbi : Caller can't hear me after ~10 secs

'm using a Pace gateway with my Fiber service. WiFi calling works perfectly when my Sprint iPhone XS Max connects directly to the Pace WiFi. To fix weak WiFi coverage in parts of my house, I had to add another router, first a Netgear R6400 (for the last two years up until a few weeks ago) and over the last few weeks, the Orbi. When connected to either of the Netgear WiFi networks, WiFi calling doesn't work correctly. The iPhone shows "Sprint WiFi Calling" but about 10 seconds into a call I make or receive, I can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear me. This happens almost every time and it happens with both Netgear routers. Both routers were configured as DMZPlus. Anyone know how I can get reliable WiFi calling with the Orbi?

Orbi: RBR50, Firmware Version V2.3.1.60

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WiFi calling with AT&T Fiber Pace Router + Orbi : Caller can't hear me after ~10 secs

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
TyrionL
Apprentice

Re: WiFi calling with AT&T Fiber Pace Router + Orbi : Caller can't hear me after ~10 secs

Hi @FURRYe38 , this problem occurs even when I'm right next to the main Orbi router, so it's not an issue with my home size, interference, etc.     Remember that my iPhone thinks that WiFi calling works.   A WiFi call works as expected for about 10 secs, after which the person on the other end can't hear me but I can hear them.   At this point, the iPhone still thinks WiFi calling works because it continues to display "Sprint Wi-Fi".  So something happens after 10 seconds that cause the problem where the caller can't hear me.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please let us know if the other suggestions help. Please give feedback to questions presented, regardless of relavance. Anything is possible when it comes to wifi. 

Does this happen with other phones and wifi calling? 

Message 4 of 9
highlandr
Aspirant

I can verify this issue. I have the exact same setup, AT&T Fiber Pace + RBR50. Over wifi caling, the receiver can't hear me after 10 seconds. It doesn't matter what device I use or what calling software. Google Voice, Facetime, and regular calls are all affected.

I am able to confirm the ORBI is the problem, because when I bypass the ORBI and connect directly to the AT&T fiber router, calls work fine.

I suspect an ORBI firmware bug because things were fine for over a year until this issue developed around October/November 2019. 

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

I too use wifi calling on my Orbi and it work just fine. Never have a problem.

I think the issue is how ATT gateways implement DMZ+ or passthrough. There are many posts over on dlsreports.com and the ATT Community forums about how the recent latest ATT gateway firmware breaks wifi calling. So you are not alone in having this problem, it just not specific to the Orbi. 

You could probably do some testing by first rolling the Orbi firmware back to an older version to see if the problem disappears. I suspect it won't. Then roll the ATT firmware back and see if the problem disappears. That will let you know where the problem lies but it may not last long as ATT pushes it latest firmware. 

Message 6 of 9
highlandr
Aspirant

@Jetdrive Can you link to a relevant dslreports thread? 

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

Message 8 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Configure the Orbi as an Access Point, and forget DMZ+ on the Pace.  Make sure MU-MIMO is enabled in the Orbi.  Default is set to off.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7