Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi extenders for outdoors with RBR50

apgomez3
Aspirant

WiFi extenders for outdoors with RBR50

I currently have the RBR50 with two RBS50 units in my home. I want extend my wifi into my backyard patio area because the signal is spotty. Ideally I would like to buy the RBS50Y but they seem to be on back order on every retailer I have found. I ordered a RBS50Y unit but they're not sure when it will ship. Is there an alternative that will work with what I have until it arrives?

Firmware version: 2.5.1.8

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: WiFi extenders for outdoors with RBR50

@apgomez3 wrote:

My RBR50 unit is approximately 5 feet away from the exterior wall going to my patio but the patio is also a floor down. I was planning to mount it outside but covered under a patio roof. When I bought my set up, I didn't know about their wifi6 coming out or else I would've purchased that. My Orbi is less than a year old and it would suck to have to spend all that money to upgrade to their WiFi6 units.

When you purchased Orbi a year ago, no one knew Netgear was about to release a WiFi6 product.  Is there a window overlooking the patio that the Orbi could be placed in?  (non-metallic glass, of course).

Several vendors on Amazon are promising delivery of the RBS50Y in the first half of August, so maybe the problem will solve itself?

The big issue with ordinary (inexpensive) "extenders" is that they are not part of the Orbi "mesh".  Devices do not switch automatically back and forth as the signal from one access point falls off and another become more attractive.  An "extender" is perfect for devices that seldom move. (security cameras, doorbells, tv's, wireless speakers, etc.  They can have a separate SSID and be perfectly happy.  With smartphones, tablets, and laptops, of course, the user would have to open the wireless settings and select the other network.  On my smartphone it takes about 5 seconds.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@apgomez3 wrote:

I currently have the RBR50 with two RBS50 units in my home. I want extend my wifi into my backyard patio area because the signal is spotty. Ideally I would like to buy the RBS50Y but they seem to be on back order on every retailer I have found. I ordered a RBS50Y unit but they're not sure when it will ship. Is there an alternative that will work with what I have until it arrives?

This depends on whether you intend to mount the unit outdoors.  The only outdoor rated device that fully integrates with the Orbi you have is the RBS50Y.  My typical recommendation is to locate an Orbi satellite inside but right next to the patio, so that half of the radio signal will penetrate the exterior wall and go out onto the patio.  When I search for "Orbi satellite", I find nothing readily available.  It appears (to me) that either (a) the pandemic has disrupted Netgear's supply chain, or (b) Netgear is phasing out the 2016 designed original Orbi in favor of the WiFi6 product line.  In particular, the only "Orbi satellite" that appears readily available is the RBS10, which not compatible with the original Orbi.

Any number of firms sell outdoor rated access points, but they defeat the purpose of having a "mesh".

This sucks.

Message 2 of 4
apgomez3
Aspirant

My RBR50 unit is approximately 5 feet away from the exterior wall going to my patio but the patio is also a floor down. I was planning to mount it outside but covered under a patio roof. When I bought my set up, I didn't know about their wifi6 coming out or else I would've purchased that. My Orbi is less than a year old and it would suck to have to spend all that money to updgrade to their WiFi6 units.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@apgomez3 wrote:

My RBR50 unit is approximately 5 feet away from the exterior wall going to my patio but the patio is also a floor down. I was planning to mount it outside but covered under a patio roof. When I bought my set up, I didn't know about their wifi6 coming out or else I would've purchased that. My Orbi is less than a year old and it would suck to have to spend all that money to upgrade to their WiFi6 units.

When you purchased Orbi a year ago, no one knew Netgear was about to release a WiFi6 product.  Is there a window overlooking the patio that the Orbi could be placed in?  (non-metallic glass, of course).

Several vendors on Amazon are promising delivery of the RBS50Y in the first half of August, so maybe the problem will solve itself?

The big issue with ordinary (inexpensive) "extenders" is that they are not part of the Orbi "mesh".  Devices do not switch automatically back and forth as the signal from one access point falls off and another become more attractive.  An "extender" is perfect for devices that seldom move. (security cameras, doorbells, tv's, wireless speakers, etc.  They can have a separate SSID and be perfectly happy.  With smartphones, tablets, and laptops, of course, the user would have to open the wireless settings and select the other network.  On my smartphone it takes about 5 seconds.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7