Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi in satellite room slower than near router

whitepatrick
Follower

WiFi in satellite room slower than near router

I just switched from an Apple Airport Extreme to the RBK50 Orbi with a router and satellite. So far, it works, but it is not ideal. I am getting speeds of about 50-60Mbps in the room with the satellite but speeds of 150-170Mbps in the room with the router. I was under the impression that the whole point of the satellite was to give you the same speed as the router. Is this not so? 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2

Re: WiFi in satellite room slower than near router

so the question is how far apart are the orbi router and sat and what structure is inbetween them ?

to work well the two device need to sync at close to the max 1733M as they can , the lights arnt very indicitive of the actual connect

the method i use to get the right placement is to connect a laptop to the sat by ethernet ( disable the wifi in the laptop for now )  and move the sat closer to the orbi router ( but not to close ) and do a speed test from the internet or better still transfer a file from something connected to the orbi router to the laptop , this will give you the max speed , now move the orbi sat and lappy further away and do the same test and see if it changes much , keep doing these moves until you notice a big drop in the test speeds

at that point you know thats too far and move back to where it just held the faster speed ,  in general you should be able to get about 10 - 15 meters away and another room or so but you cant have the orbi router at one end of the house and the sat at the other as the 5 gig backhaul just wont travel that far

see if that helps

btw wifi wise it also depends on what sync the wireless adapter gets so keep an eye on the sync speed

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7