Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi

canoe3
Aspirant

WiFi

So I have not yet purchased an Orbi System, because I am trying to find out if it will improve my current situation or not before I spend more money. My problem seems to be related to the Aluminum siding as I get almost no coveraged anywhere outside  my house. I have a very nice patio and pond that I like to sit I am not able to use any of my devices because they will not connect very well at all once I pass through the outside door. I understand the Orbi system uses some sort of mesh network to improve wifi speeds but have not been able to find out if it is able to work through aluminum siding? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello canoe3

Orbi still uses wifi so if you can not get any signal already through the siding then you would have the same result as you do now Orbi can give you better coverage in larger areas but the satellite units still need to receive the wifi signal to work.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Glass is transparent to WiFi. Aluminum is not. Place your router (or an Orbi unit) next to a window near the patio, and you might get better signal.

With Orbi, I can get usable signal outside 500' away from my home. I have a lot of windows.

Message 3 of 8
canoe3
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello canoe3

Orbi still uses wifi so if you can not get any signal already through the siding then you would have the same result as you do now Orbi can give you better coverage in larger areas but the satellite units still need to receive the wifi signal to work.

DarrenM

Thanks DarrenM,that certainly seems reasonable to me, now I just need to find a way to work around the aluminum siding.

Message 4 of 8
canoe3
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

Glass is transparent to WiFi. Aluminum is not. Place your router (or an Orbi unit) next to a window near the patio, and you might get better signal.

With Orbi, I can get usable signal outside 500' away from my home. I have a lot of windows.

That is also a good suggestion, right nex to my patio I have an all glass room that is only 10 feet from my xfinity router, not sure but I think the glass must have something built into it that reflects the uv and also my wifi. Maybe if I  place my range extenter or an orbi unit in my family room it would be able to work through some older windows I have in that room. Would it be possible to set up one orbi outside somewhere to cover the patio and yard area through those older windows? I sure appreciate any and all suggestions

Message 5 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@canoe3 wrote:

Would it be possible to set up one orbi outside somewhere to cover the patio and yard area through those older windows? I sure appreciate any and all suggestions

I doubt that you could place it outside to get better coverage as it's not an outdoor unit also the satallite is connected through wifi, so if no wifi no satellite coverage either.

You may have some kind of faraday cage around your house - how's the cellphone reception?

Though I have found the higher I placed mine in the house the further I was able to get a signal. The RBK3000 definitely has range, Definitly covers my block now. I can almost reach the park down the street.

Message 6 of 8
canoe3
Aspirant

@aaz wrote:

@canoe3 wrote:

Would it be possible to set up one orbi outside somewhere to cover the patio and yard area through those older windows? I sure appreciate any and all suggestions

I doubt that you could place it outside to get better coverage as it's not an outdoor unit also the satallite is connected through wifi, so if no wifi no satellite coverage either.

You may have some kind of faraday cage around your house - how's the cellphone reception?

Though I have found the higher I placed mine in the house the further I was able to get a signal. The RBK3000 definitely has range, Definitly covers my block now. I can almost reach the park down the street.

Well I suspected the unit could not go outside but I am getting desperate to find a solutiion. I have the Netgear AC1900 range extender located in my upstairs hallway and my xfinity router in the center of the first floor in our kitchen island. This set up works pretty good within the house but I have been hoping to use the wifi to stream tv and music to the patio and into a small garage where I keep my stereo equipment that is connected to my outside speakers. Must be some alternative for extending wifi out into my those areas.

I am not familar with the RBK3000 does this take the place of my providers router? maybe it would be a better choice for me. 

Message 7 of 8
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

Re: WiFi outside house with aluminum siding

The aluminum siding on your house is grounded, that's why it's hard to get a signal through it. (Because it works as a Faraday cage, you'll also get small dead spots inside; but that's another story.) You probably have crummy radio reception, too.

Your only hope is to put a satellite near a window, as others mentioned. The window had best not have an aluminum screen. You could replace the aluminum screen with plastic, if you have to.

If you don't have one, get one of the plug-in satellites. Plug it into an extension cord and move it around. See if you can find a location where the signal can leak out. Use a WiFi signal strength app on your phone to see what's going on.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7