Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Calling, iPhone X, and Orbi RBK50

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Wifi Calling, iPhone X, and Orbi RBK50

Hello,  Looking for some input or feedback on the use of the RBK50 for Wifi Calling.  I've read a few posts about some having issues but their circumstances may be unique so I'm starting a more generic thread.  The ability to conduct stable mobile calls using my iPhone X is paramount and is the main driver for getting this particular router.  When such a premium is placed on WiFi Calling it is most certainly due to poor cellular reception in the household.  To say it another way, if on a mobile call, should the WiFi Calling feature on the iPhone turn off, the call will most certainly drop.  This has been the experience I've had ad nauseum using the router provided by the ISP for which I must lease.

Apple recommends routers with MU-MIMO support.  To that end, I've made the following modifications under advanced settings to improve chances of stability although I am open to suggestions on changes.  Besides these settings, the router is in otherwise factory reset mode.

Annotation 2019-02-28 202434.jpg

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Do you have most recent (.32) firmware?  (cant see your image yet, it has to be approved by moderator)

Message 2 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yup. 

The question though is probably more historical in nature. In other words, given the provided backdrop, are users of Orbi successfully able to make and receive Wi-Fi calling calls at home .  Fully transparent and no dropped calls .

Message 3 of 7
quagmire1
Luminary

@gr8sho wrote:

In other words, given the provided backdrop, are users of Orbi successfully able to make and receive Wi-Fi calling calls at home .  Fully transparent and no dropped calls .

We've got an iPhone 7 Plus and an iPhone SE, both updated to iOS 12.1.4, on AT&T. I'm in a marginal service area - the nearest tower is about 2 miles away. On my iPhone 7 Plus, field test mode indicates my received signal strength from the nearest tower varies between -115 and -108 dBm. 

WI-Fi calling works great for us on the Orbi RBK50. No issues at all. 

I have experimented with the Beam Forming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming options. I didn't see much difference, so have left them unchecked. 

I should say that my previous router, an Asus RT-N66R, also had flawless Wi-Fi calling, except in our family room (AKA, the "Dead Room"), which is now fully served by the Orbi satellite.  Mesh routers rule! 😉

Message 4 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@quagmire1   Very helpful, thank you.  With respect to the MU-MIMO setting, I will leave it on per Apple's recommendation.

Cheers

Message 5 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@gr8sho wrote:

@quagmire1   Very helpful, thank you.  With respect to the MU-MIMO setting, I will leave it on per Apple's recommendation.

Cheers

I think that you meant to say Apple recommends MIMO and not MU-MIIMO. These are two different things. MIMO is on by default in Orbi.

MU-MIMO should not do much difference here.

I have wifi calling flawlessly working on many different iPhone models at home.

Message 6 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@ekhalil wrote:

I think that you meant to say Apple recommends MIMO and not MU-MIIMO. These are two different things. MIMO is on by default in Orbi.

MU-MIMO should not do much difference here.

I have wifi calling flawlessly working on many different iPhone models at home.

Have a look here.  These are their words.

"MIMO or MU-MIMO, which can offer improved performance when many devices use your Wi-Fi network simultaneously, you want to take full advantage of a high-speed Internet connection, or you need Wi-Fi coverage over a larger area".

Haven't done enough testing with the Orbi yet to say whether or not the MU-MIMO settings makes a true difference, but compared wth the Arris router it is replacing, the Orbi does seem far more stable.  That's one big reason I'm solliciting input.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7