Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Drops Out Intermittently

MJMackowski
Guide

Wifi Drops Out Intermittently

I have a base and satellite on one floor in suburban home. I use Cox cable modem for internet. I got this system July 2019 and has worked great until maybe two weeks ago. We are getting random intermittent drop outs in the wifi signal. The only cabled connection to the base station was a garage door opener remote. When we started having issues I connected my desktop (late model iMac) with a cable which had been on wifi. 

When drop out occurs (wife's laptop), I ran Speedtest on my phone (wifi) and desktop (wired) at the same time. Wired connection is great, >150 Mbps. (So it is not a Cox problem.) Wifi is sometimes <20. Wired connection is solid. Wifi can come and go. I did a reset (using tiny button) and that restored wifi to nornmal speed. Sometimes a power cycle will restore it.

Suggestions? Thanks,

Mike M

Message 1 of 4
vajim
Master

Re: Wifi Drops Out Intermittently

what is your orbi model and firmware?

Message 2 of 4
MJMackowski
Guide

Some new observation. I just had a momentary drop out on my wired connection to my iMac running latest MacOS. Streaming radio died for maybe 20 seconds. By the time I got to Speedtest it was back. But internet definitely died momentarily (system pop up said your internet was restored). But yesterday when wifi dropped, iMac was rock solid. Strange.

Message 3 of 4
MJMackowski
Guide

I "downgraded' the firmware to V2.3.5.32 on 3/20. Today is 3/28 and I have had no problems since I made that change. Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7