Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Speed Stuck at 30MBPS on Orbi

JeffDo
Aspirant

Wifi Speed Stuck at 30MBPS on Orbi

Hey all,

For a long time I have been enjoying the Orbi's wifi system. I have up to 400MBPS download speed purchased, and I have been at that speed for a long time until now. Now, when I test the wifi, it is always stuck at 30MBPS;  usually exactly that number. Does anyone have a similar issue or knows how to fix it? I use the  NETGEAR CM500V modem (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Telephone-download-680Mbps-Certified/dp/B075XGZ6GL), and the Orbi AC220 Tri-band wifi system.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi - there's good news and bad news, I'm afraid.  This is an occasional problem that some other users have experienced. It's not terribly common, but does crop up for some folk.  See these threads:

Thread 1 

Thread 2

The good news is that there is a fix.  A Factory Reset solves the problem.  Make sure that you have updated to the most up-to-date firmware (V2.1.4.10 on this page).  Once the firware is updated (if not already) the use a paperpclip to push down the router reset button until the LED on the back of the router flashes amber, then after it stops flashing set it up from scratch again. Reset the satellite(s) as well.

The bad news is that the reset might not solve this problem for very long.  It may come back....  However, I have now had two weeks of full speed since my last reset so I'm hopeful that the problem is fixed. Netgaear support are working with me to get the router log files if the problem reoccurs. 

If it continues for you, get in touch with Netgear support.  Either way, please keep us posted in this thread how you get on.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 2 of 7
cscheiene
Star

I have the same problem. But it's only on the 2.4 band. A reboot fixes the problem for some days, then it comes back. Have tried a factory reset without success.
Message 3 of 7
JeffDo
Aspirant

I spent $500; the router and two satellites, for this? Is there really not  a true fix to this? I'm starting to regret buying this product.

Message 4 of 7
JeffDo
Aspirant

Update: I've noticed that whenever my computer is using the internet via the satellites, the speed is only stuck at 30mbps, but whenever I use wifi or ethernet for the actual router, the speed is normal.

Message 5 of 7
cscheiene
Star

Is it only for that computer the speed gets throttled?
Message 6 of 7
Ulairi
Luminary

@JeffDo wrote:

Update: I've noticed that whenever my computer is using the internet via the satellites, the speed is only stuck at 30mbps, but whenever I use wifi or ethernet for the actual router, the speed is normal.

You’re problem may be different then.  

Try different combinations  of Ethernet cables, which port you’re using on the Sat and if possible a different test PC, to eliminate variables in the test environment. If that doesn’change  anything then a factory reset is the next obvious step.  A factory reset, as painful as it is to set up everything again, works for a number of glitches, including bottlenecks.

Note that the link I gave earlier was for the RBK50 firmware.  Make sure you’re running  the most up to date firmware off your  kit’s support (download) page.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7