Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Speeds on a gigabyte ISP connection

wase4711
Luminary

Wifi Speeds on a gigabyte ISP connection

Curious to know what kinds of download/upload speeds people are getting, if they have gigabyte internet service...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: Wifi Speeds on a gigabyte ISP connection

This is testing on-net via (speedtest.xfinity.com):

image.png

And this one is using www.dslreports.com/speedtest, with a combination of servers around the east coast:
image.png

For both of these, I was connected via WiFI to an RBS50 satellite.

Message 2 of 9
wase4711
Luminary

your speed tests dont show up here; the picture is blocked somehow

Message 3 of 9
guzzijason
Apprentice

Ah, sorry... they are showing up for me. Let's me try a different way...

speedtest.xfinity.com:
xfinity.png

www.dslreports.com/speedtest:

dslreports.png

Message 4 of 9
wase4711
Luminary

nope, just blank boxes...what are the speeds you are getting?

Message 5 of 9
guzzijason
Apprentice

Oh, bother. The images show up fine for me, but not when I log out. Perhaps image uploads are being moderated/approved before they show up.

At any rate, when I test via speedtest.xfintiy.com (which is on-net, given that I am an Xfinity subscriber), my sample test shows ~588 Mbps down, and ~42 Mbps up.

The test that I did on dslreports.com (which uses servers that are off the Comcast network), the test got ~415 down, and ~35 up.

Message 6 of 9
wase4711
Luminary

yeah, they are probably moderating them..

what speed up and down do you pay for?

thanks

Message 7 of 9
guzzijason
Apprentice

The Xfinity Gig speed is supposed to max out at 960 Mbps down, and 40 up.
I wish I had good wired tests to use as a comparison, but I'm on a Macbook with USB-C, and my USB-C -> Gig ethernet adapter (Belkin) is absolutely horrible. I actually get much better speeds over WiFi than I do using this stupid ethernet dongle 😕 One of these days, I'll hijack my wife's work laptop and get a test using that.

Oh, and the Ookla speed test built into the Orbi is giving me results fairly similar to the dslreports one.

The final bit of relavant info is that I'm not directly connected to the modem - I have a dedicated firewall device sitting between modem and the Orbi router, so it's conceivable that it may be slowing things a bit, but its a relatively new and supposedly performant, so hopefully it's not affecting the results *too* much.

Message 8 of 9
guzzijason
Apprentice

BTW, also relevant:

From https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data

The tri-band WiFi that powers Orbi includes a dedicated 5 GHz band with up to 1733 Mbps that is used solely for communication between an Orbi router and satellite. The other two WiFi bands are dedicated to the WiFi devices that you connect to your Orbi network.

The performance that you experience also depends on the devices that you are connecting to your Orbi network, WiFi interference from other devices, and the construction materials in your home. In most circumstances, you can expect the following speeds:

• Up to 400 Mbps for older devices that support 2.4 GHz and 256 QAM
  • Up to 866 Mbps for newer devices that support 5 GHz and 802.11 ac

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7