Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi coverage problems with the Orbi AC3000

smies917
Follower

Wifi coverage problems with the Orbi AC3000

I have Verizon Fios 1gbit connection deal and connected a netgear mesh system. There is the main router in the center room of the first floor and 2 orbi extenders (one in the basement and one on the 2nd floor). We live in a less than 2,500 sq area but the signals on the second floor are more than horrible. Any help would be great.

Nina N.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi coverage problems with the Orbi AC3000

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Are you getting to spec speeds with a wired PC? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 3
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: Wifi coverage problems with the Orbi AC3000

I have often wondered about coverage in multi-story houses.

If you think about the wireless signal it's a dounut shape with the weakest signal directly above and below the donut shaped field.

But, I believe, the Orbi has multiple antenas and I'm not sure of the orientation of them but, nevertheless I think the signal will still be poorest imediately above and below the router and satelite.

You would also need to concern yourself with distance between the devices as you change horizontal position of the devices since distance is also a factor.

I think position of the devices is very important and some trial and error is needed to find the best locations for each of the devices.

Ian

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7