Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 54 Wifi very slow at 5%?

jefferis
Guide

Wifi drop outs and factory resets.

I have been having intermittent wifi dropouts since updating to the latest firmware 

V2.1.4.16

I read that to fix this issue you can do a factory reset.   I did this using the web interface "reset to factory defaults", not using the pin hardware reset.  I am wondering  if that is the same thing. I am noticing that my internet connection is not as fast as it should be.  I've rebooted the unit and have released and refresed the dns.  I have an RBR50 with a satellite. I'm connected to the orbi via ethernet for my desktop. Wifi for my laptop. 

Thanks. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
Redmoonstar
Luminary

Re: Wifi drop outs and factory resets.

I updated to the V2.1.4.16 and my upload speed dropped by 0.2. I then went back to V2.1.4.10 and my upload speed came back up, everything was good for a week then my wireless Printer and my ethernet connected arlo base station stared to drop every night around 6.00pm and come back around 11.30pm. Both were connected to the Orbi Satellite, satellite showed "good" backhaul and other devices connected worked fine. I have had to go back to latest firmware so these stay connected however my upload speed is down again and now my satellite shows "good " backhaul for around a week then goes to "poor'. I have not changed anything in my set up and no new devices added. I have to reboot Orbi Router and Satellite to get back to "Good " backhaul. I also did the reset (paperclip) after installing the latest firmware on both router and satellite and have done a reset on Satellite since due to backhaul issue. I am in Australia and only have ADSL2 service which is slow at the best of times so losing upload speed isn't great especially as I have the Arlo Pro Camera's and they need more upload speed to work correctly. Why does the new firmware slow upload speed???

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Using the web page UI "Erase" for factory defaults is the same as pressing the reset pin hole button in back for 15 seconds then let go. Wipes the configuration made by users. Does not revert FW versions.

Some users have had good luck in just upgrading FW to v.16. Others have had problems after updating and neither just upgrading nor power cycle doesnn't resolve there problems. So as a last resort, a Factory Reset or Erase on the router and satellite(s) is suggested, then setup from scratch. Others have posted this has helped them.

You a can review how I set my friends Orbi system up and see if this works for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@jefferis wrote:

I have been having intermittent wifi dropouts since updating to the latest firmware 

V2.1.4.16

I read that to fix this issue you can do a factory reset.   I did this using the web interface "reset to factory defaults", not using the pin hardware reset.  I am wondering  if that is the same thing. I am noticing that my internet connection is not as fast as it should be.  I've rebooted the unit and have released and refresed the dns.  I have an RBR50 with a satellite. I'm connected to the orbi via ethernet for my desktop. Wifi for my laptop. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 5
jefferis
Guide

Orbi 54 Wifi very slow at 5%?

I posted this on the wrong forum, so I'm updating it here: 

BTW, my "router" is a radio receiver on an antenna that uses wireless burst technology for 10/1 speeds. It assigns an IP address to the Orbi dynamically. 

Orbi 54 Wifi very slow at 5%? Ethernet is 100%.

Since the current update of firmware, I'm having a peculiar problem. Computers connected to the the Orbi 54 via Ethernet get 100% speeds, but my wifi connection has dropped to 1 meg download and .9 mps upload. I have bypassed the router and get full speed. I have put my laptop right next to the Orbi and it shows wifi transmit rate of 799 MBPS with 100% connectivity.   It seems the Orbi is having some other issue with wifi.    The unit is still under hardware warranty, but I can't find a way of contacting them about it for support.   

BTW, I did a factory reset and it did not fix the issue.  I ping'd my ISP and do not see any packet losses.   Any ideas?  

Message 1 of 1

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation