Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi drop

robgardien
Aspirant

Wifi drop

I am having Wi-Fi dropouts with my Orbi configuration. I have the following setup:

- RBR40 router in AccessPoint mode

RBW30 Wall Sattelite with 5G backhaul

- RBS20 Sattelite with wired backhaul

I have done some reserach in this forum as well as google. I tried the following steps but they did not help:

-Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

-Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

-Rebooting by unplug for 5 minutes and turn off the power button on the router.

- Changing the Transmit Power Control to 75%

- Change Preamable Mode to Long Preamable

I work in IT so I als enabled telnet to change the 5G Wifi SSID but that didn't help. I have no clue to as why my WiFi on my phone is dropping. Please help!

What FW is currently loaded? V2.3.5.30
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Mikrotik router
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?  AP mode with 2 sattelites

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1000

What channels are you using? Auto?  I am manually set to 1 for 2.4ghz and 48 for 5ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 8 different networks by me.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors using same channels?

If you turn OFF the RBS and RBW leaving just the RBR wifi running, do you still experience this wifi drop? 

@robgardien wrote:

I am having Wi-Fi dropouts with my Orbi configuration. I have the following setup:

- RBR40 router in AccessPoint mode

RBW30 Wall Sattelite with 5G backhaul

- RBS20 Sattelite with wired backhaul

I have done some reserach in this forum as well as google. I tried the following steps but they did not help:

-Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

-Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

-Rebooting by unplug for 5 minutes and turn off the power button on the router.

- Changing the Transmit Power Control to 75%

- Change Preamable Mode to Long Preamable

I work in IT so I als enabled telnet to change the 5G Wifi SSID but that didn't help. I have no clue to as why my WiFi on my phone is dropping. Please help!

What FW is currently loaded? V2.3.5.30
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Mikrotik router
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?  AP mode with 2 sattelites

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1000

What channels are you using? Auto?  I am manually set to 1 for 2.4ghz and 48 for 5ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 8 different networks by me.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Message 2 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

Removing the 2 sattelites did not work, now testing with one sattelite connected. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your help
Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually download v2.5.1.8 FW for the system. Unpack the files, then manually update the RBSs first, then the RBR lastly. Factory reset the entire system. Walk thru the setup wizard. I would not add the RBS just yet. Just setup the RBR and see if the RBR changed behavior with the wifi drop. Does it still happen or no? 

Message 4 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

I am unable to update the firmware to that version, because that version applies to the RBR50 or RBS50 and my router is a RBR40 and my sattelites are also not of the type RBS50. I get an incompatibility error so is there a version of that firmware for my setup? Thank you for your help
Message 5 of 13
mynameisjohnj
Aspirant

Just to chime in - I'm having no end of problems with a similar setup (RBR40 with 3 RBS20 satellites.) I can't seem to get a stable connection for more than a few minutes without a drop.

I've updated to the 2.3.5.34 firmware version but still have no luck. Things were working fine for the first 4 months of owning the Orbi, but one day it was like someone flipped a switch and everything stopped working...

I haven't tried disabling the 2.4Ghz broadcast... it's disheartening to read that it didn't help your situation.

- John

Message 6 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

What firmware where u using when it was working fine ? I started with a RBR40 and a wall plug RBW30 and purchased the RBS20 hoping it would solve the problems, but it has never worked, even without the sattelites. The backhaul states a good connection both wired and wireless
Message 7 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

Does the WiFi drop With just the RBR40? What firmware where u using when it was working fine?
Message 8 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

Yes it still drops, i cant find that version for the RBR40
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 10 of 13
robgardien
Aspirant

No unfortunately no progress, the dropouts have become less frequently to occur but my phone still disconnects after a certain period of time

Message 11 of 13
mynameisjohnj
Aspirant

Same with me, by the way. Stability when stationary is spotty. When moving from room to room I'm guaranteed a dropout.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket and get more help from NG support. Ask about an RMA as well. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@robgardien wrote:
What firmware where u using when it was working fine ? I started with a RBR40 and a wall plug RBW30 and purchased the RBS20 hoping it would solve the problems, but it has never worked, even without the sattelites. The backhaul states a good connection both wired and wireless

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7