Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi drops every 1-3 minutes after power outage

surlymac
Aspirant

Wifi drops every 1-3 minutes after power outage

After a 2 hour power outage 4 days ago, all my wifi devices now only stay connected to my RBK50 system for 1-3 minutes. Some reconnect automatically, and some don't. The SSID is not visible for 30-60 seconds, then it's back and I can reconnect for another 1-3 minutes.

I have Centurylink fiber, and I'm using the Orbi as a router with PPPOE connected to the fiber ONT via ehternet cable. I've never had any issues with the setup.

Once the issues started, I noticed the satellite wasn't connected. After many reboots, trying to resync the satellite, repositioning (including placing the satellite close the router), I updated firmware to 2.3.1.60. That didn't fix the issues. So I did a factory reset. The same behavior continued as I tried to set it up as a "new" system. But now my PPPOE info was not saved, and I couldn't maintain wifi access long enough to set that up. I tried the Orbi iOS app with slightly better results, but still couldn't quite get it configured fast enough. I also eventually narrowed the setup to not include the satellite initially just to reduce variables. That's how I've been troubleshooting since just to keep things simple, but it didn't seem to help.

I purchased the Orbi in October of 2017, before Orbi supported the PPOE configuration, so I used a leased ZyXEL C2100Z modem/router connected to the ONT, and the Orbi connected to the C2100Z via ethernet. I disabled the wireless functionality on the C2100Z and used the Orbi as a router and main SSID.

So I've now dug the C2100Z back out, got that up and running as the router with the Orbi out of the mix. I’ve been using this setup for the last few days when I’m not troubleshooting the Orbi, and it seems to be working reliably. So I connected the Orbi to the C2100Z via ethernet the same way I had it configured when I initially bought the Orbi system. I gave the Orbi a new SSID, and when I connect to that wifi network with any device, I still see the same issue with wifi dropping.

I've tried randomly messing with many settings on and off (Beamforming, MIMO, Fast roaming, etc.), and the issue remains. I can run speed tests from the Orbi control panel and see very good results around 400-600MB download, 600-800MB upload (if the wifi connection on the device I'm using holds long enough for me to see the result). Speed tests from wifi devices are lower as expected (100-400MB) but still perfectly in line with what I've always experienced.

As far as my home layout, I’ve done testing and troubleshooting with the router, satellite, and client devices in their everyday arrangement (router in basement, satellite one level above, laptop in next room from satellite, iPhone roaming around the house) and with all devices within a few feet in my basement where the fiber enters the house. The behavior is consistent either way.

I’m at a loss now, and it seems like somehow the power outage somehow damaged the Orbi just enough to make it flaky. I tried using the router with the satellite power supply and that didn’t help either. Just a long shot thinking maybe if the power outage damaged a power supply, it wouldn’t have damaged both of them in precisely the same way.

Any ideas? Is there any way to troubleshoot this further? Is paying for Netgear support going to get me anywhere? Or do I just have zombie hardware at this point?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi drops every 1-3 minutes after power outage

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Any other wifi broadcast devices near by? 

When doing a factory reset, are you setting up from scratch or loading a saved config file? 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Google turned up discussions of PPPOE and Centurylink Fiber.  One suggestion was to keep the modem and place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do only WiFi devices and wireless stop during this time frame or does wired connections as well? 

Message 4 of 12
surlymac
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.

As I mentioned in my (addmittedly very long) post, I initially had the Centurylink Modem (ZyXEL C2100Z) between the fiber ONT and the Orbi. That worked great for maybe 6 months until I discovered (likely due to a firmware update) the ability to run the Orbi right into the fiber ONT without the C2100Z. That also has worked great ever since (~12 months).

Home is 2400 sq feet, 3 levels, stucco and plaster. I initially tried about a dozen physical arrangments for router and satellite, and settled on the router in the middle of the basement mounted on a bracket near the ceiling and the satellite on the next level about 4 feet off the ground and 20 feet over from the router. As mentioned, while troubleshooting, I also positioned all equipment in the same area in my basement. The behavior was the same regardless of either arrangement.

For channels, I've been using auto for 2.4 and 48 for 5g. Would a power outage somehow make that matter after a year and a half of excellent reliability?

I live in an urban area of mostly single family homes on city size (1/5 acre) lots, so I have dozens of wifi neighbors. I don't know about wifi broadcast devices. There isn't any sort of public wifi here, and most of my neighbors likely have a pretty basic setup compared to mine (ISP provided modem/router and a few client devices).

I did the factory reset from scratch, though I did save a config file before resetting. Haven't tried that since things weren't working well at the point when I saved it.

Message 5 of 12
surlymac
Aspirant

I havent tested wired devices. That would be interesting. I don't run anything wired, and I don't even think I have an ethernet dongle for my MacBook at home, so I'd have to hunt down a device to drag in there.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is a bit too close between the RBR and RBS. 

As suggeested, you might configure the modem for router mode and disable ALL wifi on it, then configure the RBR up for AP mode and see if this changes anything. I would do one more factory reset. This time, don't add the RBS. Leave it off. Just the RBR. Test the wifi stability and see if the wifi remains or keeps going off line. 

Message 7 of 12
surlymac
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

20 feet is a bit too close between the RBR and RBS. 

As suggeested, you might configure the modem for router mode and disable ALL wifi on it, then configure the RBR up for AP mode and see if this changes anything. I would do one more factory reset. This time, don't add the RBS. Leave it off. Just the RBR. Test the wifi stability and see if the wifi remains or keeps going off line. 

It's 20 feet horizontally, and then a couple feet of floor, then the satellite is about 4 feet of the ground. There is also a partial (plaster) wall between the two in addition to the floor. I tried many other arrangements when I set the sytem up in October of 2017, and this was the one that yielded the best results.

I'm not sure if I'm articulating it poorly, but as mentioned, I did run the system as you describe (fiber ONT -> Modem (wifi disabled) -> Orbi, via ethernet cable) for the first six months. It worked great. It also worked great for the last 12 months or so when I removed the modem from the mix and configured PPPOE directly on the Orbi. I've tried both configurations in the last few days of troubleshooting, and I'm still seeing the issue.

I've done multiple factory resets with no change. I've also been leaving the RBS off other than my first couple attempts to resolve this when it first started.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this, download the v60 FW file for the RBR. Disconnect the RBR from the modem. Use a wired PC and manually re-update the RBR using the v60 FW file. After it loads and comes back to ready, do 1 factory reset. When your setting up the router from scratch, leave the SSID and PW as default, take note of the default PW for your use. Skip the wizard and just get to the main web page. Check a wifi device to see if it will connect to the default SSID name and PW. Check with a device to see if the SSID remains or falls off again. 

If it falls off again at this point, you may need to ask NG about an RMA. 

Let us know what happens here...

Message 9 of 12
surlymac
Aspirant

Will try that. Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
surlymac
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would try this, download the v60 FW file for the RBR. Disconnect the RBR from the modem. Use a wired PC and manually re-update the RBR using the v60 FW file. After it loads and comes back to ready, do 1 factory reset. When your setting up the router from scratch, leave the SSID and PW as default, take note of the default PW for your use. Skip the wizard and just get to the main web page. Check a wifi device to see if it will connect to the default SSID name and PW. Check with a device to see if the SSID remains or falls off again. 

If it falls off again at this point, you may need to ask NG about an RMA. 

Let us know what happens here...

I dug out an old laptop which has an ethernet port. I did the above, and the issue remains. The laptop seems to stay connected via ethernet port.

I noticed under Advanced -> Administration -> Router Status there is a Show Statistics option on the Internet Port pane. Attached is a screen shot of what that shows. Under uptime, both WLAN b/g/n and WLAN a/n/ac have not gone over 2 minutes before resetting to 0:00 since I've been watching it for 30 minutes. WAN and LAN 1 (that's the laptop via ethernet) have stayed up since I last rebooted the RBR.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, soulds like this power outage has probably damaged the RBR. I would ask NG if a RMA is possible. Smiley Frustrated

@Blanca_O 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7