Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi for at LEAST Gigabit throughput?

BrMcC
Follower

Wifi for at LEAST Gigabit throughput?

Upgrading my 1,200 sq ft home to Gigabit internet. While most routers can handle 1Gigabit speed when hardwired, which mesh system do you recommend that would be able to have at least 1 Gigabit WiFi throughput speed to get the most out of the new speed?

Message 1 of 8
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

This table should give you an idea regarding NG mesh offerings.  Only RBK852 supports Gigabit WiFi.

Internet Speed Tier.png

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

An ambitious goal, but perhaps not practical.  When I look at articles describing WiFi "speed", it appears that the only systems that will support gigabit (in any fashion) are WiFi 6 systems.  Here's an article going through some of the factors:

https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-6-explained/ 

I think the concensus is that the current Orbi WiFi 5 product:

• Struggles with a gigabit internet connection (Orbi was submitted to the FCC in 2016 when 100mb internet connections were only a fantasy, let alone gigabit).
  • Supports a maximum theoretical WiFi 5 (AC) connection of 433mb.

So, if this is truly what you are looking for, then your search should be confined to the "Bleeding Edge" products from the various vendors.  Would be worth time spent to read through the user forums of the current WiFi6 products, including Netgear's two WiFi 6 product lines:

Orbi (AX) https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax , and

Nighthawk https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system 

I have absolutely no clue which vendor (or which of their products) will emerge as the industry leader or "best buy".

My bottom line, this may be a time to "put something in" and plan to replace it in 2-3 years.

Message 3 of 8

@CrimpOn wrote:

An ambitious goal, but perhaps not practical. 

And why would anyone want it? Are there any wifi clients that can use 1 GHz wifi?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be aware that not all wifi devices support seeing any thru put speeds near 900Mbps. Most max out at around 400-500Mpbs. Check with your devices Mfr on what they support on them. 

If you have any AX supporting devcies, then maybe Orbi AX is something you should look into. 

@BrMcC wrote:

Upgrading my 1,200 sq ft home to Gigabit internet. While most routers can handle 1Gigabit speed when hardwired, which mesh system do you recommend that would be able to have at least 1 Gigabit WiFi throughput speed to get the most out of the new speed?

Message 5 of 8
whynotme
Aspirant

My Galaxy S10 and wife's S10+ have AX.  My daughter's iPhone 11 has wifi 6.  So yes, there are clients that should theoretically support 1Gbps.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to look into. 

Message 7 of 8
Obi-La
Guide

The numbers stated in wireless specs these days in the GB range do not accurately represent the wireless network speed you'll get. There is a lot of overhead in the data signal that eats up that high number.

Here's a good site that explains Wi-Fi networking and cuts through the speed hype that's typical with nearly all of the vendors. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#routerhype

Good news is it looks like a new Wi-Fi spectrum will become available in the 6Ghz band (Real Wi-Fi 6). This should cut down on interference, but the race for high speed numbers may end up hogging up the new band just as in the current 2.4 & 5Ghz bands.

On the bright side there are new modulation scheme standards coming with it, that are more efficient, and coexists with others better.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7