Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi from modem should be turned on or off

mstooks
Follower

Wifi from modem should be turned on or off

Do I want to have the same wifi name for my Xfinty Cable modem/ Router as the ORBI wifi name? Or should I have them seperate? Or do I need to turn off my wifi on my xfinty modem?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Heiruspecs
Guide

General practise is to turn off your WiFi completely on your external router and have all traffic go through the Orbi network (with the Orbi router set as an access point).

I, however, having had troubles with Orbi router/satellite dropping connection have left them on for now to have something to fall back on. I do seem to have a very stable connection right now without any hickups for the last 48 hours. When I get home I'll turn off the WiFi yet again.

Naturally they do interfere with the mesh network setup by Orbi, as anything else sending out signals.

Message 2 of 4
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Heiruspecs wrote:

General practise is to turn off your WiFi completely on your external router and have all traffic go through the Orbi network (with the Orbi router set as an access point).

I, however, having had troubles with Orbi router/satellite dropping connection have left them on for now to have something to fall back on. I do seem to have a very stable connection right now without any hickups for the last 48 hours. When I get home I'll turn off the WiFi yet again.

Naturally they do interfere with the mesh network setup by Orbi, as anything else sending out signals.

I think that if this were me, that I'd leave the wireless off on the modem (it's really a gateway, which is a combined modem and wireless router). Then if the Orbi fails, you can turn the wireless on the gateway back on and use it. Yes, you will lose connections if the Orbi fails if you do that, but you might find that the Orbi works better that way.

Personally, I haven't had lost connection problems with the Orbi, sorry to hear that you've had that problem. It's a pain in the neck, and hard to troubleshoot.

Message 3 of 4
Heiruspecs
Guide

@RogerSC wrote:

@Heiruspecs wrote:

I think that if this were me, that I'd leave the wireless off on the modem (it's really a gateway, which is a combined modem and wireless router). Then if the Orbi fails, you can turn the wireless on the gateway back on and use it. Yes, you will lose connections if the Orbi fails if you do that, but you might find that the Orbi works better that way.

Personally, I haven't had lost connection problems with the Orbi, sorry to hear that you've had that problem. It's a pain in the neck, and hard to troubleshoot.

I know, I had it turned off from the start. But seeing as Orbi kept on failing me, I left it on while I tried to get a stable connection through Orbi. Just so that if it does actually drop, my devices would connect to my other wireless connection instead. It has been running stable for 48 hours now though, so I'll turn it off today when I get back home.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7