Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi internet issues

MidTnMike41
Aspirant

Wifi internet issues

The other night I noctied my phones were saying "Cannot obtian IP" while on wifi. The I tried to work for a little while and my work laptop would connect but would not get an IP address, so I had no internet. I unplugged everything and plugged it back and wifi was back. This morning same problems again. It seems to come and go. I updated to the latest firmaware this morning and still have same results. My orbi has worked perfect until the last week. Nothing in my network has changed. Any suggestions to resolve this issue?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
ekhalil
Master

One of the reasons that can cause such issues is having double NAT in your network. If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (traceroute to Google’s DNS server)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 2 of 13
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I only see one private IP, and thats the IP of the orbi. I have my cable modem set in bridge mode. All my wired connections are fine, I am only having issues with some of the wireless devices. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

do both devices have dhcp enabled?

Message 4 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Thanks,
What other devices do you have attached to Orbi please? Please list device types for all devices: wired and wireless.
Message 5 of 13
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I have several devices connected to it. Phones, Tablets, TVs, Laptop, Desktop, cameras. Theres no way I can list them all. None of the wired devices are experiencing any problems at all, only the wireless, and it comes and goes. This just started 2 days ago, before that I had zero problems at all.

Message 6 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

I have several devices connected to it. Phones, Tablets, TVs, Laptop, Desktop, cameras. Theres no way I can list them all. None of the wired devices are experiencing any problems at all, only the wireless, and it comes and goes. This just started 2 days ago, before that I had zero problems at all.

- Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?

- Do you have any devices that can cause loops? Devices that can have both Ethernet and wireless connections at the same time?

- Do you have any wired mesh speakers, e.g Sonos?

Message 7 of 13
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I have one satalite (RBS50) that is wireless. My laptop and desktop both are wired connections but both have wireless capability but currently tunred off. No speakers on my network, except two echo's if that counts. 

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

The other night I noctied my phones were saying "Cannot obtian IP" while on wifi. The I tried to work for a little while and my work laptop would connect but would not get an IP address, so I had no internet. I unplugged everything and plugged it back and wifi was back. This morning same problems again. It seems to come and go. I updated to the latest firmaware this morning and still have same results. My orbi has worked perfect until the last week. Nothing in my network has changed. Any suggestions to resolve this issue?

Message 9 of 13
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

Thats a lot of questions, I'll try to hit them all.

Both router and satalite are on 2.3.0.32

Home is about 2700Sq Ft, normal wood, drywall contruction, satalite is about 30 ft away with good signal

2.4 is on auto, with a lot of neighbors near by, I usually see about 5 other wifi networks. 

Security is WPA2-PSK [AES]

I just enabled the those two settings, I will test with my work laptop which seems to give the most problems. I have two android phones that come and go, but both are currently connected with no problems. Time will tell when I leave and come back.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have alot of wifi neighbors near by, could a some wifi congestion going on. I would try a manual channel on 2.4Ghz. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 11 of 13
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I did a factory reset this morning and still have the same issue. I finally just put the orbi in AP mode, took my xfinity router out of bridge mode, and disabled the wifi on the xfinity router. That way now my xfinity router is doing all the DHCP and all the Orbi is doing is the wifi connections. While I wouldnt say this is a fix as much as a work around, it did solve my issue. All my devices are conecting again. 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder if there is a problem with the ISP modem in bridge mode. Sounds like the connect doesn't maintain with the Orbi while in bridge mode. 

Run the configuration like you have it now and let us know how it goes in the next few days. 

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

I did a factory reset this morning and still have the same issue. I finally just put the orbi in AP mode, took my xfinity router out of bridge mode, and disabled the wifi on the xfinity router. That way now my xfinity router is doing all the DHCP and all the Orbi is doing is the wifi connections. While I wouldnt say this is a fix as much as a work around, it did solve my issue. All my devices are conecting again. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7