Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi keeps dropping

dubirl
Tutor

Wifi keeps dropping

Replacing my 2 Airport Extreme APs & 1 Airport Express (one on each floor) The GND floor Airport Extreme was connected a SKY router. I relaced all the Airport fit with the Orbi router RBR50 and Sat RBS50 - set the Orbi router to AP Mode. I started to notice the network dropping, when I checked the logs on the SKY router its network port dropped the link - when I checked the log on Orbi the log was a new one. Also noticed when a new device is connected the wifi goes off-line. 

Any ideas why the network keeps dropping?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dubirl

You could try to change the wireless channels and see if that stops the drops or you may want to re position the satellite unit.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
dubirl
Tutor

Hi Darren, 

I changed the wireless channel made no difference - the satellite is not dropping, its the wired connect between the Orbi base station and the router that's dropping. 

dubirl (Kieran)

Message 3 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dubirl

Have you tried different cords and a different port on the SKY router?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 16
dubirl
Tutor

Hi Darren,

The sky router only has two ports - one connects to the ISP and the second is the ethernet port which the Orbi is connected to. I had our IT guy look at the setup, we have figured out there must be something wrong with the boxes. Orbi drops its IP addresses, we have confirmed this by looking at the logs on the Sky router which provides DHCP. We took the Orbi to my office and setup the Router and Sat again and saw the problem reapprear - difference router and ISP. At this point I don't see any other option but to return the boxes. 

I reconnected the Airport Extreme AP's - DHCP provided from the Sky router and thus so far no issues. The Airport networt is setup in bridge mode with 3 boxes one located on each floor - GND / 1st / Attic Conversation. 

Lastly Orbi router was setup on the ground floor, Orbi Sat located on the landing on the 1st floor, unfortunately the signal couldn't reach the the furthest point where I office is located in the Attic conversation. Was planning to connect one Airport AP to the Orbi base station and setup a seperate WIFI. Smiley Sad no joy!

DubIRL (Kieran)

Message 5 of 16
lekw310388
Star

I have the same issue, on both IOS and Android devices. Updated to the latest firmware doesn't seems to fix the problem. Still getting signal drop and reconnect every few minutes.
Message 6 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello lek310388

The latest firmware did not address those issues and our engineers are still working on the issue.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 16
alberts
Star

Hello Darren,

firmware 1.12.0.18 still has wifi signals dropout. 

Any news ?

thanks albert

Message 8 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I sent you a PM alberts

DarrenM

Message 9 of 16
jasondcash
Aspirant

Hi Darren

I've been having these same disconnect issues. I have to constantly turn my wifi off and back on to get reconnected. Any suggestions?

Message 10 of 16
marcosnbr
Aspirant

I am also having these wifi drops all the time. So often, that it is impossible to have a 5-minute audio call over Skype. Originally I blamed the ISP ('cause that's what usually happens here), but then I found out that the issue was with the WIFI only, and not when using CAT5.

The only thing that worked for me was to configure the Orbi as AP , and use the ISP provided modem/router to do the job. However, this is not why I bought the Orbi; I wanted my private network.

Off course, I no longer have the option to return the product, but I am definitely not going to consider Netgear on my next purchase. I wasn't aware of the issue until a couple of weeks ago, when I got to this community and found all of the topics and comments from all the other people with the same or similar issues, and no solution for such a long time… man... so disappointed...

So, if you people have another router at home, you could use the Orbi in AP mode, not the best option I know, but... I guess we will have to pray to all Gods for Netgear to find a solution…

Oh, by the way, I was using 1.11.0.20, then 1.12.0.18... but I went back to 1.11.0.20 so I could turn on and off 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz form the GUI. I still get some disconnects during the day... but no even close to what it was when using the Orbi in Router Mode.

Message 11 of 16
kafferast
Aspirant

Mine router and satellite going back to the store tomorrow. Worked perfect for a week, then the latest firmwire f* it up.

Message 12 of 16
Gesuele87
Aspirant

There is no fix for this.  Randomly, Orbi is dropping all of my iOS devices, especially iPhones which use WiFi calling due to poor cellular reception in my area.  I am on the latest firmware - V1.12.0.18

I have:

(1) RBR50
(1) RBS50
and
(1) RBW30 - on version V1.12.0.4 - which was offline now just as I checked upon my return from travel - What!!?!?  I had to pull this out of the wall to reboot it.

I’ve read via forums that this is a known issue and is fixed in the firmware I am running.  I can tell you that this is not a fixed issue; I’ve been living with this since I purchased the units.  And frankly, I wish I could return them.

And since I’m 90 days past my purchase, you wish to charge me for calling you. This honestly, is unacceptable.

What is my alternative?  Is there anyone who has solved this?

Message 13 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number and a quick summary of your issues and I will get you in contact with support to figure out the issues with the disconnects.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 16
scornwell
Apprentice

@Gesuele87 wrote:

There is no fix for this.  Randomly, Orbi is dropping all of my iOS devices, especially iPhones which use WiFi calling due to poor cellular reception in my area.  I am on the latest firmware - V1.12.0.18

I have:

(1) RBR50
(1) RBS50
and
(1) RBW30 - on version V1.12.0.4 - which was offline now just as I checked upon my return from travel - What!!?!?  I had to pull this out of the wall to reboot it.

I’ve read via forums that this is a known issue and is fixed in the firmware I am running.  I can tell you that this is not a fixed issue; I’ve been living with this since I purchased the units.  And frankly, I wish I could return them.

And since I’m 90 days past my purchase, you wish to charge me for calling you. This honestly, is unacceptable.

What is my alternative?  Is there anyone who has solved this?

Sell it and get an alternative, there is no solution currently available.

As much as the mods here would like to give you the impression you can resolve this through support, you can't, and it will take weeks of back and forth with their support people before you get to that point. I've had a ticket open since the 22nd of July with no progress so far. The latest firmware (V1.12.0.18) has a number of connectivity, routing and throughput issues, some of which appear resolved in the latest beta, but promptly return when you reboot the router.

Your options are either a) wait for a firmware update from Netgear, which may or may not solve your issues (at this stage it's looking like it won't) or b) cut your losses and switch to a product that doesn't have these issues. 

Ultimately I chose b and have been considerably happier since. I'm just trying to get my Orbi in a working state so I can sell it on in good faith. 

Message 15 of 16
alberts
Star

Hi darren,

have a look into case  (#28835167). i'am not wasting more time describing my problem. i have firmware 2.0.0.64 in the meantime, still have  ongoing disconnections. I'am done with that crap by now, left approriate review at amazon.

in a few weeks  i well check for new firmware. maybe  it will work then it's fine, otherwise  i dump netgear for good and dont waste any more time. good luck, netgear has for sure lost a  customer  and i will leave  negative reviews till you come up with a firmware that works. albertS

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7