Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi speed drop when go through satellite

RoundRound
Aspirant

Wifi speed drop when go through satellite

I am using RBR40. When only the router is on, at the position of the satellite(which is off), the speed via wifi is like 1xx Mbps. However, with the satellite on, I ran the speed test again near the satellite (device connected to this satellite), the speed become 3x Mbps. Why would this happen?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi speed drop when go through satellite

Be sure your wifi device is connected at the RBS before testing. If you move near the RBS, this doesn't mean that the wifi device will stop it's connection to the RBR and connect to the RBS. Some devices don't have good roaming features. So you have to disable the wifi radio temporarily on the device, move to near the RBS then re-enable the devices wifi radio and then it should connect to the RBS. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.
Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 5
RoundRound
Aspirant

Sure it is connected to satellite, and the speed drop significantly.(30 Mbps)
At the position of satellite, connected to router, 1xx Mbps

Why going through satellite would cause the speed to drop?
Message 3 of 5
RoundRound
Aspirant

With the wifi speed from router 1xxMbps (position A), I expect that if I place the satellite at position A, it will extend the wifi with this speed to its nearby position, but obviously it is not the case
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please provide feedback on the questions presented and try some of the suggestions. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7