Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi to Ethernet

serverscience
Aspirant

Wifi to Ethernet

In our store we have the RBR50 and RBS50 devices and these give us great coverage.

We have several areas with great coverage that are not near either the main unit nor the satellites where we have computers and printers and we want to convert the wifi signal to wired ethernet to a switch that connects to multiple computers, printers, and other wired devices.

We're assuming that some kind of access point or bridge would be needed to convert the wireless signal to ethernet, but we don't know what particular device to use. We're looking for device recommendations that convert wifi to wired that can support multiple computers, etc.

We cannot string wire from the main unit nor satellites in our case due to non-technical reasons (building leasing restrictions), so please do not advise us to connect directly to the main unit or satellites. 🙂

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@serverscience wrote:

To confirm: can we actually mix/match RBR50/RBS50 devices with other Orbi devices such as the RBS40V-200 and RBS20 devices? I had otherwise guessed that they wouldn't work together as they're not in the same series.

Absolutely.  Any of the original "residential" Orbi satellites will sync with the RBR50 router. (not the "Pro", the AX, or the RBS10).

I like the RBS40V because of the $100 cost. (I have grown to like Alexa playing classical music, but that is entirely optional).

@serverscience wrote:

An Orbi RBR50 is just on the other side of the wall from the room in which one set of workers are. This would be about 15 feet. So, for one of our locations, it might be problematic. For the other three, I think we're further than the 30' distance you mention.

30 feet is the recommended "starting point".  If you start with a single RBS40V, try it in that location first and see what happens.

@serverscience wrote:

Final question here: Do you have any higher-end device suggestions that fall into this category?

There are too many WiFi extenders to list.  TP-Link's RE450 is a similar product.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCMag-Editors-Choice-Extender/dp/B010S6SG3S/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_pm?ac_md... 

Many of these products are designed to plug directly into a wall outlet.  I often choose to ignore that capability and plug them into an extension cord so that I can get them "off the floor" and in a location that makes the most sense from the aspect of (a) having a clear "view" of the WiFi system and (b) being near the devices I want to connect via an ethernet switch.

When using the Netgear EX3700, I chose to use the 5G channel to connect to my Orbi and disabled the user-side radios entirely.  I imagine the TP-Link has a similar capability.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could add another satellite that has ethernet ports. Then just connect a switch to it if you need more ports. 

Message 2 of 13
gr8sho
Virtuoso

You can think of the RBS50 as an Ethernet drop.
Message 3 of 13
serverscience
Aspirant

The RBS50 is not near (and cannot be placed near) where there are computers and printers where people work. It is not feasible to place Ethernet cable from the RBS50 to that location.

So, I'm looking for a hardware recommendation that will allow me to place a device at the work area that receives wireless signal and converts it to Ethernet that can go thru a switch to the cluster of computers and printers that are at that work area (several desks side by side). I can run Ethernet cable at the work area, but not to the RBS50 satellites nor to the RBR50 router.

I'm also looking to ensure that the computers and printers are on the same subnet as the rest of the devices in the company.

And, I have 4 such work areas that I'd like to do this same thing. Each of them gets great Wifi signal from the Orbi router or satellites.

So, I'm not sure what kind of device I need. A bridge? An access point? If the Orbi's wifi signal can't be turned into Ethernet for each of these work areas, would I need to get some other set of devices?

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If your connecting the RBS as a satellited in the work area which is wirelessly connected to the RBR, then all you need to do is to connect a LAN switch to the back of the RBS, the LAN ports in back will connect to most any non manged switch, then you can connect any wired device to this switch. 

Thought distance between the RBR and RBS will be a factor. Not much more than 50-60 feet would be recommended between them. 

Thought bandwidth could be come a factor at the RBS having too many wired devices connected and all using lots of bandwidth. 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@serverscience wrote:

So, I'm not sure what kind of device I need. A bridge? An access point? If the Orbi's wifi signal can't be turned into Ethernet for each of these work areas, would I need to get some other set of devices?

You need one of two things:

1. Additional Orbi satellites which will connect to the existing Orbi router and/or satellites over WiFi. (no cable connection required).
    This has the advantage of keeping the base network intact and extending the Orbi WiFi "envelop" farther.
    If they are too close to the existing Orbi units, this runs a risk of crowding too many WiFi radios into the space.
    (a distance of 30' from any existing Orbi unit should be sufficient, which sounds "doable".)
    My current "Best Buy" Orbi satellite is the RBS40V which Amazon has been selling for $100. It has 4 ethernet ports, so up to 4 devices can be connected before it is time to purchase an inexpensive gigabit switch (any brand, although I tend to prefer "name brands" such as Netgear, TP-Link)
    Another benefit of using Orbi satellites is that all devices will show up as "Attached Devices"along with where they are attached to.
  2. Any brand of "WiFi Extender" which connects over WiFi to the Orbi  and has one ethernet port to feed the devices.
    (meaning you will need a switch for anything over one ethernet device.)
    Netgear makes several (EX3700 comes to mind). TP-Link makes several. And, Amazon carries a vast array of Chinese knock-off extenders. (I would read the user reviews carefully.  If it has "27" reviews -- (duh).
    I have not found WiFi extenders to be as reliable as Orbi satellites.
    I have also found that WiFi extenders often create private MAC addresses for devices attached to them.  They still get IP's from the Orbi router, but these MAC addresses do not match the actual hardware address.  I found that to be a drag.
Message 7 of 13
serverscience
Aspirant

Neither the RBR50 router nor the RBS50 satellites are in the rooms where we have work areas established. These rooms, however, get great WiFi signal from those devices. We are not permitted to modify walls and we cannot string wire into these rooms. Hence, we truly do need to convert WiFi to Ethernet.

I am looking for solutions that do not involve using the Ethernet ports on the back of the Orbi devices that allow us to attach computers and printers to the same subnet as the rest of the store. We're concerned that adding additional satellites in these work rooms will cause performance problems with the Orbi system because these rooms, while separated from the RBR50/RBS50 devices, are actually physically close (with walls between that make it impossible to connect via the Ethernet ports on the Orbi devices). I'm wondering if adding network bridges or access points would allow us to connect without causing performance problems and likely would also be far less expensive than adding Orbi satellites.

Many thanks,

Steve Amerige

P.S. In case anyone's interested, the Orbi devices are placed where they are because (1) The RBR50 router needs to be connected to where our Spectrum modem is located; and (2) to provide connection to terminal point-of-sale registers in the store. Our other rooms where we have designers, bookkeepers, and others doing computer work, unfortunately, are located in rooms that we are not permitted to modify, but do get great WiFi signal.

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@serverscience wrote:

I am looking for solutions that do not involve using the Ethernet ports on the back of the Orbi devices that allow us to attach computers and printers to the same subnet as the rest of the store.

Both solutions above (a) do not require running any cable, (b) do not involve the ethernet ports on the existing Orbi units, and (c) result in all devices in one subnet.

Message 9 of 13
serverscience
Aspirant

Thank you for your information.

Item (1) might be a problem. An Orbi RBR50 is just on the other side of the wall from the room in which one set of workers are. This would be about 15 feet. So, for one of our locations, it might be problematic. For the other three, I think we're further than the 30' distance you mention. So, this might be a partial solution. To confirm: can we actually mix/match RBR50/RBS50 devices with other Orbi devices such as the RBS40V-200 and RBS20 devices? I had otherwise guessed that they wouldn't work together as they're not in the same series.

Item (2) might be possible. The EX3700 looks to be a low-end device, if the mere $29.99 price is any indication. We would be willing to spend more (like around $100 for each of our rooms) for better-quality devices. I'm not sure if the MAC address would cause us any functional problems. So, this approach might be better. Final question here: Do you have any higher-end device suggestions that fall into this category?

Thank you again for your helpful information. I think any feedback to the above questions will result in a "solution" answer.

Best regards,
Steve Amerige

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@serverscience wrote:

To confirm: can we actually mix/match RBR50/RBS50 devices with other Orbi devices such as the RBS40V-200 and RBS20 devices? I had otherwise guessed that they wouldn't work together as they're not in the same series.

Absolutely.  Any of the original "residential" Orbi satellites will sync with the RBR50 router. (not the "Pro", the AX, or the RBS10).

I like the RBS40V because of the $100 cost. (I have grown to like Alexa playing classical music, but that is entirely optional).

@serverscience wrote:

An Orbi RBR50 is just on the other side of the wall from the room in which one set of workers are. This would be about 15 feet. So, for one of our locations, it might be problematic. For the other three, I think we're further than the 30' distance you mention.

30 feet is the recommended "starting point".  If you start with a single RBS40V, try it in that location first and see what happens.

@serverscience wrote:

Final question here: Do you have any higher-end device suggestions that fall into this category?

There are too many WiFi extenders to list.  TP-Link's RE450 is a similar product.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCMag-Editors-Choice-Extender/dp/B010S6SG3S/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_pm?ac_md... 

Many of these products are designed to plug directly into a wall outlet.  I often choose to ignore that capability and plug them into an extension cord so that I can get them "off the floor" and in a location that makes the most sense from the aspect of (a) having a clear "view" of the WiFi system and (b) being near the devices I want to connect via an ethernet switch.

When using the Netgear EX3700, I chose to use the 5G channel to connect to my Orbi and disabled the user-side radios entirely.  I imagine the TP-Link has a similar capability.

Message 11 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

If I were in your place, I would add RBS40V satellites as needed.  They are relatively affordable, mesh wirelessly with your existing system, can be used in some other situations (bigger house?) as a complete Orbi network, and provide ethernet ports for end-user devices.

Get them from somewhere you can return it to and try them out.

Message 12 of 13
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The RBS50 supports the dedicated wireless backhaul (read performance) of the RBR50 and can be configured either as daisychain or hub and spoke arrangement. I’ve seen in the advanced menus support for setting up VLANs.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7