Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will Orbi Satellite work with existing Netgear Nighthawk X8 router?

jackiep
Follower

Will Orbi Satellite work with existing Netgear Nighthawk X8 router?

I recently purchased a Nighthawk X8 router, so I don't need an extra router. My X8 is placed in the center room of our house. Our home built in 1926, is 3,000sq' it has older plaster walls & the wi-fi reception barely reaches through more than 1 wall. Wireless repeaters didn't seem to work, nor the powerline extenders, so I just had someone hardwire a Netgear AC1200 in order to have wi-fi in the family room. Seems to work great but the signal drops near the rear of the house, so I'm thinking to either hardwire another extender as an additional access point, but I would like to have a single mesh network, which switches automatically (so we don't have to sign on to the extensions whenever we move about the house with a laptop) Can I create a single mesh network using the X8 & the AC1200 I just purchased? Or I see the new Orbi Satellite which looks great & has the capability of a single mesh network, but will it be compatible with my existing Netgear Nighthawk X8 router? 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired
P-Dog
Tutor

I also have the X8 and don't want to purchase the Orbi router. Can I just purchase the Orbi Satellite and use it with my X8 router and create a mesh network?
Message 3 of 6
Hydro130
Luminary

@P-Dog wrote:
I also have the X8 and don't want to purchase the Orbi router. Can I just purchase the Orbi Satellite and use it with my X8 router and create a mesh network?

I believe it is possible to purchase a stanalone Orbi staellite, but that could be used only in an existing Orbi setup - a standalone Orbi satellite isn't compatible with any router except the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What Hydro130 said is correct orbi satellites only work with a Orbi base router.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
farfromovin
Guide

What is stopping you from naming your access points the same SSID? I hard wired 2 routers as access points to my main router (all Asus units) with the same SSID and it worked fine. Your device that is traveling will eventually connect to the strongest one.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7