Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will installing too many satellites do more harm than good? More coverage than necessary overkil

KungFutse81
Follower

Will installing too many satellites do more harm than good? More coverage than necessary overkill.

So I just moved into a new 2-story house that's 2600 square feet. Typical suburban home. Ideally, I should get a one router/one satellite system like the RBK40, RBK22, or even the RBK50.

However, I'm looking at larger systems for sale like the RBK53 which is one router/two satellites and even the RBK44 which is one router/three satellites. And these are rated to cover 7,500 to 8,000 square feet respectively.

My question is will installing a system that's rated to cover more area and installing that into a smaller home do more harm than good? Will installing too many satellites when you don't need them give you better coverage or is it counterproductive?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Will installing too many satellites do more harm than good? More coverage than necessary ov

There are only a limited number channels available, so installing too many satellites competing for the same frequencies will surely hurt the performance, if they interfere with one another.

If they can still reach the router, you could lower their transmit power, which I have done even for  my one satellite, which is running on wired backhaul and thus doesn't need to connect to the router (in AP mode, though) wirelessly.

I'd start with the minimum number of APs and see, if you can get away with that and only add more, if really needed.

Just my 2c, of course.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Will installing too many satellites do more harm than good? More coverage than necessary overkil

I have the one router and satellite and it covers my 5000sq ft home.

Seen others with up to 3-4 satellites.

@KungFutse81 wrote:

So I just moved into a new 2-story house that's 2600 square feet. Typical suburban home. Ideally, I should get a one router/one satellite system like the RBK40, RBK22, or even the RBK50.

However, I'm looking at larger systems for sale like the RBK53 which is one router/two satellites and even the RBK44 which is one router/three satellites. And these are rated to cover 7,500 to 8,000 square feet respectively.

My question is will installing a system that's rated to cover more area and installing that into a smaller home do more harm than good? Will installing too many satellites when you don't need them give you better coverage or is it counterproductive?

Message 3 of 8
Rickharrill
Aspirant

Betreff: Will installing too many satellites do more harm than good? More coverage than necessary ov

How do you lower the power of these units? I'm assuming that lowering the power would reduce the sq ft coverage. Because my home is nowhere near the 5000sq ft my units are rated for, I'm hoping to be able to customize the signal to better suit my needs. My main goal is to have a satellite in my son's room, for a hard wire to his gaming system, which is on the same floor opposite side of the house as the router. I have the router and 1 satellite ac3000 system (5000sq ft). Perhaps the system rated for 3500sq ft would be a better fit for me?
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can lower the power on the Orbi router is all. There is setting under Advanced/Advanced Wirelesss. I don't believe this does anything for the satellites. Yes, reducing the power, you'll have to move the satellites closer as the foot print coverage will be effected.

I have a 5000sq ft home and use only 1 satellite. 40 feet in between. Full power. Great coverage, range and performance.

@Rickharrill wrote:
How do you lower the power of these units? I'm assuming that lowering the power would reduce the sq ft coverage. Because my home is nowhere near the 5000sq ft my units are rated for, I'm hoping to be able to customize the signal to better suit my needs. My main goal is to have a satellite in my son's room, for a hard wire to his gaming system, which is on the same floor opposite side of the house as the router. I have the router and 1 satellite ac3000 system (5000sq ft). Perhaps the system rated for 3500sq ft would be a better fit for me?

Message 5 of 8
Aspen_za
Tutor

I have the RBK50 router + 4 RBS50 satellites + 2 RBS30 satellites all working perfectly in sync.

That's 1 router & 6 satellites! Brilliant coverage. House including garden size = 799 sq.meters

There is a trick to setting them up though. See my setup post.

Hope above info. helps.
Message 6 of 8
Aspen_za
Tutor

Screenshot of my setup

Message 7 of 8
tsig
Luminary

I've got one router and two satellites in a 2000 sq ft house, no issues. 

Laid out like an "L" with the router in the middle.  Get full speed to the street and out to the edges of my yard.  Works fantastic.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7