Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will my cheap Arris modem work great with Orbi RBR20?

emanon
Tutor

Will my cheap Arris modem work great with Orbi RBR20?

I have an ARRIS SBG6700-AC I can use with an Orbi RBR20. Is this a sufficient modem? Or will this modem cause a problem. I'm thinking the specs on the modem does not really matter as long as it allows the max speed the provider promises. Am I correct?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Will my cheap Arris modem work great with Orbi RBR20?

DOCSIS 3.0 will work fine with Orbi.  You face the issue of whether to keep the ARRIS acting as the router or put the ARRIS in "bridge or passthru" mode and have the Orbi act as the router. Either way, the WiFi on the ARRIS needs to be turned off.

Message 2 of 4
emanon
Tutor

OK thanks for the confirmation! I have previously used the Arris with a Nighthawk R7000 and the Arris was in bridged mode.  So I will place it in bridged mode with the Orbi.  BTW does it make sense to trade off the R7000 for an Orbi?  Will I have a better experience with the Orbi?

Message 3 of 4

@emanon wrote:

Will I have a better experience with the Orbi?

Depends what you are trying to achieve and what features you want.

I have an R7800 as a front end for an Orbi (in AP mode). The Orbi has better wifi, with its satellites, but the R7800 gives me more control over the router side.

The wifi on the Orbi is AC2200 while on the R7000 it is AC1900, so theoretically faster, although good luck spotting the difference.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7