Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will the Orbi system work together if I had the new NightHawk XR700/500 setup as a main router?

Supergate
Aspirant

Will the Orbi system work together if I had the new NightHawk XR700/500 setup as a main router?

Will the Orbi RBR50 + 2 sats work if I had the new NightHawk XR700 or 500 setup as a main router? Basically I have the Orbi setup as a router now but I would like to have the nighthawk setup as the router and the Orbi system(router+2 sats) setup as the mesh wifi or extenders. Would that work?

Message 1 of 13
DickDuke
Apprentice

Re: Will the Orbi system work together if I had the new NightHawk XR700/500 setup as a main router?

Yes, but I think it would be pointlessly complicated.

• set up your modem to bridge only (no routing functionality)
  • connect the Netgear router to the modem by wire, and keep it in router mode.
  • wire the RBR50 to the router and put it in access point mode
  • connect the satellite(s) to RBR50 normally

i can’t see any possible benefit to this arrangement besides the learn-by-doing game you’d be playing. The RBR50 is a monster router, and the system is already extremely fast and powerful 

Message 2 of 13
Supergate
Aspirant

Re: Will the Orbi system work together if I had the new NightHawk XR700/500 setup as a main router?

Ok. If I nix the router and just kept the Orbi system what would be the best settings for streaming content and gaming? I am having some issues with streaming on my Apple TV at the moment and with upload speed. My provider said it wasn't them and that it may be the router.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can have to routers on the same network, however it's not recommended. You could use the XR routers DMZ for the Orbi if you wanted to run the Orbi as a router. I would disable the wifi on the XR router. 

Or turn OFF the wifi on the XR router and configure the Orbi in AP modem, thus disabling the Orbis router and using the XR has the primary router. 

@Supergate wrote:

Will the Orbi RBR50 + 2 sats work if I had the new NightHawk XR700 or 500 setup as a main router? Basically I have the Orbi setup as a router now but I would like to have the nighthawk setup as the router and the Orbi system(router+2 sats) setup as the mesh wifi or extenders. Would that work?

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Supergate wrote:

Ok. If I nix the router and just kept the Orbi system what would be the best settings for streaming content and gaming? I am having some issues with streaming on my Apple TV at the moment and with upload speed. My provider said it wasn't them and that it may be the router.

First, the provider always says, "It's not our network, it's your equipment."  The way to confirm that is to connect directly to their modem and run tests.  This is probably not practical with Apple TV unless the modem and TV are located in the same room.

Which model of Apple TV is this and how is it positioned relative to the Orbi?

Message 5 of 13
Supergate
Aspirant

I have the latest model 4K Apple TV and it is located about 2 feet from the router directly connected.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Supergate wrote:

First, the provider always says, "It's not our network, it's your equipment."  The way to confirm that is to connect directly to their modem and run tests.  This is probably not practical with Apple TV unless the modem and TV are located in the same room.

Which model of Apple TV is this and how is it positioned relative to the Orbi?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Supergate wrote:

I have the latest model 4K Apple TV and it is located about 2 feet from the router directly connected.

This is great.  It should be easy to connect the Apple TV directly to the ISP modem (for a test, of course, since that will kill Internet access for everything else in the house).

Message 7 of 13
Supergate
Aspirant

I will give it a try. For the XboxOneS, it must be something to do with the port forwarding settings I'm guessing right?

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Supergate wrote:

I will give it a try. For the XboxOneS, it must be something to do with the port forwarding settings I'm guessing right?

(Others have vastly more experience with this issue, however ignorance has never stopped me before....)  Internet gaming appears to be sensitive to having one router directly behind another router.  Here's the first thing that popped up on my Google search: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/double-nat-detected  

So, if the service provider box is a "modem/router" and the Orbi is in router mode, this is a "double NAT" which is a bad thing.  There are several options to fix this depending on whether the customer can change the modem/router into a "modem only". If not, then putting the Orbi into AP mode is easier.

Message 9 of 13
Supergate
Aspirant

I do believe the modem is just a modem. I remember them asking me if I want a router/modem and I declined.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

How many xbox consoles do you have? 

uPnP is only needed. PF is not needed for xbox. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 11 of 13
Supergate
Aspirant

I have (3) XboxOnes in the house and (1)PS4. The Cabem modem is an Arris CM3200.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

Since you nave more than one game console, set NAT Filter from Secure to OPEN. 

This will help with two or more game consoles being online at the same time. If you play same game at the same time, this is needed. 

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

@Supergate wrote:

I have (3) XboxOnes in the house and (1)PS4. The Cabem modem is an Arris CM3200.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7