Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will this work with a 2nd Satellite?

StuMcBill
Tutor

Will this work with a 2nd Satellite?

Hi,

I've just set up Orbi in my home, and would like to try and get wifi coverage in the garage also.  Where I have positioned my first satellite, doesn't quite reach the garage.  If I were to set up a 2nd satellite in the garage, whos wifi signal should overlap the first satellite, would this work, or does the satellite physically need to be within the wifi range?

I've attached a very crude drawing trying to explain what I mean.  If the dotted blue line overlaps the solid one, will this work?

Thanks,

Stewart

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Re: Will this work with a 2nd Satellite?

You would need to enable "Daisy Chain" mode in the Orbi setup. It might work fine, but it's hard to say until you try it.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the 1st satellite and the proposed satellite? 

Message 3 of 8
StuMcBill
Tutor

Not sure really. I'll check.

Probably around 40-50ft
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Give it a try. It should connect. If you have Daisy Chain enabled. On v210 FW though, seems that Daisy Chain maybe working incorrectly in the UI. So uncheck mark the box. This seems to enable Daisy Chain. Try putting a check box if it doesn't seem to work for you. I presume the connected satellite should show up on the 1st satellites connected devices list. 

Message 5 of 8
StuMcBill
Tutor

I don't have a second satellite at the moment, and don't really want to buy one if it's not going to work?

I could use a powerline adapter to get internet into the garage?
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, Powerline can be used to connect ethernet devices.  They don't even know it's there.  HOWEVER, Powerline technology comes with its own set of issues.  It is distance sensitive. The farther you go, the slower the speed.  It is sensitive to electrical panels and circuits.  When you read the fine print, Powerline "works best" when adapters are on the same electrical circuit.  In a modern home, this is unrealistic.  It is also sensitive to the type of circuit breakers used.  Any kind of power strip renders Powerline unusable (confirmed by experience).

I have gigabit Powerline adapters connecting a Tivo remote and a router (in the garage!).  Tremendous speed to the Tivo because it not very far and on the same circuit.  WAY less speed to the garage which is three times the distance and on a different circuit.  It's enough speed for my needs, but the difference is dramatic.

Obviously, the two Orbi satellites will have to "see" each other for backhaul to work.  There are numerous inexpensive "WiFi monitor" programs for Android and Apple handhelds.  (I use WiFi Analyzer from the Android Play Store and just ignore the ads.)  When you go to the garage where the satellite would be mouned, what 5G signal level does your phone (or tablet) report?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

IT should work fine. If you get a 2nd one from places like Amazon, they have good refund policies should something happen. Give it a try and see. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@StuMcBill wrote:
I don't have a second satellite at the moment, and don't really want to buy one if it's not going to work?

I could use a powerline adapter to get internet into the garage?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7