Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows PC can't connect to wifi with DHCP

ekhalil
Master

Windows PC can't connect to wifi with DHCP

My work laptop (only Windows device at home) was working normaly until suddenly started to give me the triangle on the wifi symbol indicating no internet connection.

I tried changing many things in the router and in Windows settings with no luck.

The only thing that made the laptop work is setting a static IP address in the Windows settings. The DHCP reservation in the router did not help.

All other computers (Apple macbooks and iMac) at home are working fine with DHCP.

This is just showing that the DHCP functionality in Orbi is still not working properly.

Any idea why this is happening other than being a software fault in the router?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address pool set for on the router? Try setting it from default to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200.

Also do a IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /flushdns then IPCONFIG /renew on the PC. Or fully reboot the PC.

Try using the Windows Diagnostic wizard for the connection and see if this will resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

THere an IP address conflict on the router?

Setup an IP addresss reseravation ON the router for the Windows PC.

What is the IP address pool set for on the router? Try setting it from default to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200.

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

As I mentioned IP addresss reseravation on the router for the Windows PC did NOT help.

Only setting up static IP address (with the same IP address I tried in the DHCP reservation) on the PC settings helped.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also do a IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /flushdns then IPCONFIG /renew on the PC. Or fully reboot the PC.

Try using the Windows Diagnostic wizard for the connection and see if this will resolve the problem.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Thanks,

The IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /flushdns then IPCONFIG /renew on the PC made the trick.

It seems that this is needed everytime after changing the DHCP IP range. In fact you get a notification when you apply the changes to the DHCP IP range but the message is not really clear what it means. Now I know what it does 🙂

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Thanks 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors