Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Backhaul - Alternate Configuration

RJPiekos
Aspirant

Wired Backhaul - Alternate Configuration

I am researching a home mesh system and Orbi is at the top of my list. In my situation, i need to to extend my wifi coverage from my current ISP modem at one end of the house (office) to my garage at the other end. I can only get about a third of the way there using my ISP's hardware before the signal drops. 

I have seen in other posts (and also illustrated in the manual) where a configuration such as ISP modem > Orbi router > Switch > Orbi satelite was possible but my situation is slightly different. Since my ISP modem and Netgear switch are in my office at one end, puting the Orbi router there would be pointless. I want to put the Orbi router in the muiddle of the house (connected to the switch in the office) and the satelite closer to the other end of the house. The layout would be ISP modem > switch > Orbi router > Orbi satelite. All of my office hardware as well as various Cat5 ports all connect to the switch - Orbi would be just another device on the switch.  All connections would be Cat5 - including the one from the Orbi router to the Orbi switch. I do not believe that a wifi connection from router to satelite would work (too many walls).

Is this configuration possible?

Is Orbi Wifi 6 AX6000 (RBK852) available and would it support this configuration?

Thanks for help.

RJP

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Would probably work ok in that configuration. Would you be using the Orbi in AP mode or router mode? 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

from my current ISP modem at one end of the house (office) to my garage at the other end. 

What is the distance here?

Message 3 of 7
RJPiekos
Aspirant

approx 120 feet

Message 4 of 7
RJPiekos
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Would probably work ok in that configuration. Would you be using the Orbi in AP mode or router mode? 

Thanks for your quick reply;

I will get back to you with the ISP's modem and model number (ISP is Comcast).

As to your other question, i do not know the difference between AP or router mode (very new to this stuff)

You explanation of the double NAT (not recommended) sounds complicated. I was drawn to the Orbi solution for its simplicity. i don't want to screw around with shutting off features what already work. 

To maintan compatibility with the recommended solution i would have to put thye Orbo router in the office a satelite the middle of the house , and a third closer to the garage at the other end. That solutions adds a second satelite - not a budget buster was trying to avoid that.

Since it looks like i would be using Orbi for all of my wifi connections (from the office to the garage) i assume i would have to disable the ISP's wifi  (there modem has a built in wifi and 4 cat5 ports, i currently use only 1 port to feed the swithch).

RP

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

This project raises some interesting questions.  It might be worth a few minutes do to the following:

• Make a scale diagram of the building, paying attention to the location of WiFi devices that will consume a lot of bandwidth (streaming TV's, XBoxes, etc.)  The closer WiFi access points are to those devices, the better they will function.
  • Are there areas outside of the building which require WiFi?  If the Orbi router is at one end and a satellite at the other end, for example, about half of their coverage area will be outside the building.  (i.e. wasted) unless there is an outside area that needs coverage.
  • Dividing 120 by 2 gives 60 feet between access points, which may be too far, even with a satellite in the middle.  If the router and satellite are moved toward the middle, this will reduce the maximum distance to about 40 feet, which is much more "do-able".  i.e. wall - 40ft - router - 40ft - satellite - 40 feet - wall. With the RBK53 package (two satellites), it could be 30-30-30-30.
  • The AX product can be purchased now.  As @FURRYe38 pointed out, there is an active community forum where people are describing their initial experiences with this new product.  This is an awkward time to be investing in mesh WiFi.  WiFi 6 (the AX product) is literally "brand new".  Every manufacturer is rushing out products.  There are only a few smartphones and laptops which are capable of WiFi 6, so the benefits will not be realized until people begin to replace products.  How fast do people replace TV's, laptops, smartphones?  Those thousands of 2.4G Internet of Things devices will see no benefit (maybe never).  If you spend $500 on a new Orbi WiFi 5 system today, will you regret that when some new gadget needs WiFi 6?  But, if you invest even more in WiFi 6 and it doesn't work well???  What a dilemma.
  • Setting the Orbi to AP mode is simple.  The existing router remains in control of all network address assignments.  The office equipment can be reached from all parts of the house.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 7
RJPiekos
Aspirant

Crimp On:

Thanks for your sincere advice. My wifi needs are basic. No xBox or other toys, just the ability to have reliable phone, iPad, and laptop connectivity from the garage.  As you pointed out, RBK53 vs Wifi 6 is a dilema but fortunately i have the time to sit on the side lines and let it work itself out. I will make my decision early next year. the bandwith of W6 is interesting but the price is more than i want to spend especially if i need 3 pieces.

Thanks again

RP

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7