Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Backhaul Intermittent after Reboot

WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wired Backhaul Intermittent after Reboot

Equipment:

ISP Modem/Router

RBR50 (in access point mode) fixed IP address of 192.168.1.53

RBR50 internet connection via yellow WAN port connected to LAN port of ISP Modem/Router

RBS50 #1

RBS50 #2

Netgear 16 port switch

WIFI devices consist of Apple and Windows Only (no android/google devices)

Orbi Settings:

Firmware- V2.1.2.18

The following is checked:

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts Wi-Fi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices

Enable MU-MIMO

Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts (as per http://192.168.1.53/debug.htm)

Wired Backhaul Trial #1:

Sat 1 wireless…browser GUI says satellite connection type=5G

Sat 2 wired directly to LAN port on RBR50…browser GUI says satellite connection type=wired

Enable Daisy Chain=Off

When rebooting RBR50 from the GUI, it takes 2 mins but the two satellites show up in the GUI as described above.  (MOST STABLE SET-UP...AT LEAST RIGHT NOW)

Wired Backhaul Trial #2:

Sat 2 wired to Netgear 16 port switch which is wired to ISP router/modem…browser GUI says satellite connection type=wired

Enable Daisy Chain=Off

When rebooting RBR50 from the GUI, both Sat 1 and Sat 2 show up in the Connected Devices section of the GUI not the Connected Satellites section and both of Sat 1 and Sat 2 show up as wired. (I’M NOT SURE IF THIS IS A GUI ISSUE BUT I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED Sat 1 to show up in the Satellite section...didn't spend time looking at speedtest connectivity)

As soon as I turned off Sat 2, the GUI refreshed and Sat 1 showed up in the Connected Satellite section with connection type=5G

Wired Backhaul Trial #3:

Sat 2 wireless…browser GUI says satellite connection type=5G

Enable Daisy Chain=On

As soon as I connect Sat 2 to the netgear switch via ethernet bot Sat 1 and Sat 2 show disconnected but after about a minute Sat 1 shows up as a 5G satellite and Sat 2 shows up as a Wired connection.

Finally when rebooting RBR50 from the GUI on the Sat 1 shows up in browser GUI as satellite connection type=5G.  Sat 2 never shows up again in the satellite section, it does show up in the connected devices section.

I can occasionally get full speed 400 MBps (up and down) out of the satellite #2 but it is extremely intermittent (other times it is dead…can’t even see the SSID)

Wanting feedback to tell me what tweaks I can make to Trial #2 and #3 to get ethernet backhaul to work on Sat 2 after a reboot.  I will use Trial #1 for now but Trial #2 and #3 allow for a more optimal placement of the RBR50.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Wired Backhaul Intermittent after Reboot

WAP - You clearly already know this, but I'll just be explicit. You can't use the wired backhaul system reliably. It's a poorly implemented feature and there's nothing you can do about it.

You've provided greate detail in your steps, and you've done everything as a rational person would. However, it's not going to work. It was a feature they rushed out without bothering to check if it would work properly. Basically, the theme of the Orbi's.

I have a RBK53 system and tried a wired setup. I had similiar expeirences. I gave up. Went with the a Unifi system. No problems since.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7