Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Backhaul - RBR40 vs RBR50

ronothan
Tutor

Wired Backhaul - RBR40 vs RBR50

Does having an ethernet backhaul mean that you could get away with a RBR20 or RBR40 setup, and have the same awesomeness of the RB50 devices? 

I'm managing a building with 10 serviced serviced apartments, to give it some context.

I'm getting a good deal on RBR40, and wanted to know if that would suffice with a few sattelites around the building (using ethernet backhaul on most of the connections).

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

The "50" devices have more powerful radios than the "40" devices, and thus will provide a stronger signal over a greater area.  As long as satellites are wired to the router, backhaul speed is not an issue.  It depends on where you want to mount satellites in relation to the apartments (where occupants can get at them?  in closets?  in the ceiling?)  And, how large the apartments are.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The "50" devices have more powerful radios than the "40" devices, and thus will provide a stronger signal over a greater area.  As long as satellites are wired to the router, backhaul speed is not an issue.  It depends on where you want to mount satellites in relation to the apartments (where occupants can get at them?  in closets?  in the ceiling?)  And, how large the apartments are.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@ronothan wrote:

I'm managing a building with 10 serviced serviced apartments, to give it some context.

If a single Orbi WiFi network is provided to 10 apartments, then all of them will be in the same WiFi system and all of the devices will be visible to everyone on the system.  This could lead to (potentially) unpleasant situations.  For example, if one tenant has a WiFi printer, other tenants might be able to print to it.  This situation is similar to a hotel WiFi network, except the Orbi has no "hotel stuff" built in.  Every tenant will have the same WiFi name and password and it gets really hard to change when 10 people have to be notified.

Even if you set up a "Guest" network for the 10 apartments, they will still be in the same domain (unless Guest has some special feature that I am unaware of.)

Message 3 of 6
ronothan
Tutor

It’s a block of 10 apartments that are airbnb’s. People are only there for a few days or a week. I hear your point. I could put different routers in each apartment with different SSID’s and force network isolation to ensure each router is private but Orbi will provide more coverage, albeit with a little less security.

The only thing I may consider doing is having two seperate networks, using the Guest Wifi as I work from here and will need my NAS, security cameras etc to be on a different network.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the AirBnB people can use the Orbi Guest network and your stuff can be secure from them on the primary network.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 6
ronothan
Tutor

Exactly, as this isolates the network.

And thanks! Hopefully it arrives in the mail tomorrow.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7