Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Backhaul not fully working

MoreUsernames
Aspirant

Wired Backhaul not fully working

Hi.  Ever since I setup my Orbi for wired back haul i have had issues with admin connectivity and the base reporting as being unable to connect to the internet.

I tried talking to netgear support but they didn't have much to offer besides "reset to factory and try again" which I have done many times

Setup

Orbi is in AP mode
Firmware is 2.3.5.30
Base Station is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch (second port)
Satellite is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch (first port)
Carrier provided router is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch
Base station IP is provided by DHCP on router, using reservation
Satellite IP is provided by DHCP on router, using reservation

What does work
Wireless Internet connectivity
Wired Internet connectivity

Web admin page for both Satellite and Base

So the basics are there, which is good

Remote management via App

What does not work
Base station has magenta light on always
Orbi app does not connect when iPhone is connected to satellite Wi-Fi ("Detecting Product" fails immediately)
Orbi app does connect when iPhone is connected to base station Wi-Fi But shows internet status as "offline"
Intermittent connectivity issues for Satellite connected devices

I enabled remote admin via the app and that works, but its a greyed out option in web admin so not sure if that is mean to be a "Router Mode Only" feature

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Which Orbi router port is connected to the switch?

It should be the WAN (yellow) port.

As far as Remote Management is concerned, the issue is that Remote Managment works by making an HTTPS connection to a specific port on the Orbi.  (The default is 8443)  This is not a problem for the Orbi router, because it is processing every connection attempt from the "public" side.  It sees HTTPS on port 8443 and says, "Hey.  That's for ME."

When in AP mode, the "other router" is listening to every connection, sees HTTPS on port 8443 and says, "Does somebody think I'm stupid", and throws it away.  Maybe there is way to get that router to recognize the attempt and forware it to the Orbi, but it's WAY our of my league.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch(s) in the configuration?

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

@MoreUsernames wrote:

Hi.  Ever since I setup my Orbi for wired back haul i have had issues with admin connectivity and the base reporting as being unable to connect to the internet.

I tried talking to netgear support but they didn't have much to offer besides "reset to factory and try again" which I have done many times

Setup

Orbi is in AP mode
Firmware is 2.3.5.30
Base Station is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch (second port)
Satellite is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch (first port)
Carrier provided router is plugged in to 1 Gbps switch
Base station IP is provided by DHCP on router, using reservation
Satellite IP is provided by DHCP on router, using reservation

What does work
Wireless Internet connectivity
Wired Internet connectivity

Web admin page for both Satellite and Base

So the basics are there, which is good

Remote management via App

What does not work
Orbi app does not connect when iPhone is connected to satellite Wi-Fi ("Detecting Product" fails immediately)
Orbi app does connect when iPhone is connected to base station Wi-Fi But shows internet status as "offline"

I enabled remote admin via the app and that works, but its a greyed out option in web admin so not sure if that is mean to be a "Router Mode Only" feature

Message 3 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

According to this site https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... the switch should not be plugged into the yellow port.  but  I will try that out and let you know how it goes 

Message 4 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

Router:

Telstra Branded Sagecomm

Hardware Version FAST5355-A Software Version SG7E10001332

Switch:
Netgear Prosafe 24 port gigabit ethernet switch

JGS524

It's an unmanged switch so i don't think there is a way to update it

Edit to add:  DaisyChain is enabled.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets Disable Daisy Chain. 

Is your ISP modem in bridge mode? This modem has a built in router I believe.

Message 6 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@MoreUsernames wrote:

Yes, Remote Management is a "Router Mode Only" feature.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Remote Management in the Orbi app goes through the netgear cloud so that should work though.

Message 7 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@MoreUsernames wrote:

What does not work

Seems to me that those issues are related to the satellite connectivity issues in 2.3.1.60 as well as 2.3.5.30. I used to do the following to get around this issue:

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite (while the Ethernet cable to the Router is connected) and then on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added it should start to behave correctly. 🙂

Good luck!

Message 8 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Lets Disable Daisy Chain. 

Is your ISP modem in bridge mode? This modem has a built in router I believe.

Disabled Dasiy Chain.  Local management from app still doesn't work unless my phone is connected to the base station, and the base station still has magenta lights.   In addition when i login to web admin it looks like anything connected to the satellite now appears as a 'wired' device connected to the base station.

With my current ISP I can't set my modem to bridge mode as it breaks the included VOIP service.   The Orbi is set to AP mode so shouldn't be attempting to do any routing.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so sounds like AP mode is working better for you now and the RBRs web page shows the RBS wire connected this is good. 

You do have the RBR connected with the modem using the yellow WAN port in back of the RBR correct? 

The top ring led should be BLUE or OFF...

Message 10 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Which Orbi router port is connected to the switch?

It should be the WAN (yellow) port.

As far as Remote Management is concerned, the issue is that Remote Managment works by making an HTTPS connection to a specific port on the Orbi.  (The default is 8443)  This is not a problem for the Orbi router, because it is processing every connection attempt from the "public" side.  It sees HTTPS on port 8443 and says, "Hey.  That's for ME."

When in AP mode, the "other router" is listening to every connection, sees HTTPS on port 8443 and says, "Does somebody think I'm stupid", and throws it away.  Maybe there is way to get that router to recognize the attempt and forware it to the Orbi, but it's WAY our of my league.

Switched to the WAN port.  Only difference I can see is that the Satellite now reports its status as offline in the app (which still only works using remote admin).  

Web UI seems to show everything as ok.  is it possible the Orbi app is just shoddy?

Message 11 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok so sounds like AP mode is working better for you now and the RBRs web page shows the RBS wire connected this is good. 

You do have the RBR connected with the modem using the yellow WAN port in back of the RBR correct? 

The top ring led should be BLUE or OFF...

It's always been in AP mode.  Turning off daisy chain still had the base showing magenta.

switched to WAN port (against what is documented for ethernet backhaul) and the magenta light went away on base, but now satellite thinks its off line (in the app at least).  Turned Daisy chain back on, no change...

Message 12 of 13
MoreUsernames
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions everyone but i think this might just be down to the Orbi products being not very good.

I'll live with it until I can change to something else

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7