Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Connection Issues

Kyle_tyrrell
Aspirant

Wired Connection Issues

Hi,

Really can’t figure this one out.

Had my Orbi set up the exact same way since July this year. Have a BT Modem which is hardwired to the Orbi. Orbi then has two satellites connected via wi fi. Main Orbi device is connected to a switch which is then connected to numerous wired devices around my home.

All has worked a dream. This morning however all of my wired devices are connected (I can see them in the Orbi App) but they can no longer connect to the internet via a wired connection. WiFi connection is fine but can’t connect via wired. It’s not just one rogue device it’s anything that’s connected via a hard wired connection.

- I have restarted and rebooted everything multiple times.
- Cleaned all of the ports.
- Changed the cables connecting the switch to the Orbi.
- Tried using different ports on both the Orbi and the switch.
- ensured firmware is the latest available update.

Really at a loss of what else to try? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Kyle
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Kyle_tyrrell
Aspirant

Re: Wired Connection Issues

I wanted to add. If I connect the divices individually to my Orbi then they work fine so the issue seems to be with getting internet to the divides connect via the switch. The Orbi detects all the devices and the devices are shown as connected so I can’t understand why they would not connect to the internet?
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you power OFF the modem, Orbi system and switch for 1 minute then back ON. 

What happens if you remove this switch and test with out it. 

What FW version are you using currently? 

What is the mfr and model# of the modem your using with the Orbi system? 

Message 3 of 7
Kyle_tyrrell
Aspirant

Hi,

Have powered on and off again multiple times for extended periods of time and in multiple combinations.

If I connect the device directly to the Orbi then it works fine it’s only when connected to the switch.

I have a spare switch so I’ve just tried using that as a replacement and I still have the same issue although it did look like it was working for about a minute but then all the devices stopped receiving internet connection again exactly the same as the original switch. The second switch I used is brand new out of the box and so doesn’t seem like an issue with the switch itself from a hardware perspective. They are both unmanaged switches also.

So confused as to what’s happened in the space of 24 hours for everything to go from working to not working without any obvious hardware faults and or changes in set up?
Message 4 of 7
Kyle_tyrrell
Aspirant

Firmware is 2.5.2.4

Modem is BT Homehub. Latest version provided by my ISP at the same time I bought the Orbi.
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP Modem working in? Router or modem only mode? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Can you take both RBS to the same room or near the same room if you have long enough LAN cables and test to see if the RBS and RBR work with out the RBS being connected to a switch? Just a quick test here. 

Message 6 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@Kyle_tyrrell wrote:
I wanted to add. If I connect the divices individually to my Orbi then they work fine so the issue seems to be with getting internet to the divides connect via the switch. The Orbi detects all the devices and the devices are shown as connected so I can’t understand why they would not connect to the internet?

Many Orbi customers have reported issues when switches are involved.  Some of these switches are "green" and will poweroff when they (incorrectly) think the network is unused.  Others are "managed" and similarly disrupt traffic.  That's why we ask customers to try without the switch (you did, solves the problem) and the specific switch manufacturer and model.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7