Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Satellites

bgibs2003
Tutor

Wired Satellites

Hi - I have the RBR750 with two satellite setup.  For each satellite, I have a wired ethernet connection.  However, when I plug in the ethernet (to get the full speeds), they stop working uniformly. The big issue I have is that our WiFi printer cannot be used unless you are on the Router's wifi.  If you are on the satellite, the printer cannot be accessed.

When the routers are synced without the ethernet cable, it shows the Router and two dotted lines to each Satellite (Satellites show side by side on the Network app).  When the ethernet is plugged in...one satellite has a dotted line to the router, and the other has a solid line from the satellite to the other satellite (stacked on top of each other).

I also noticed that a separate domain (Router is on 172.16.0.x) and one of the two satelites is on 192.168.1.x.

Any thoughts for how I can have my mesh system truly be mesh v. what feels like 3 separate networks?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@bgibs2003 wrote:

Hi!  Thank you so much for replying.

My setup is --> AT&T modem/router combo (but I have the router functionality turned off) --> the AT&T box has 4 drops on the back and is located in my smart home panel.  From there, I have Ethernet cables patched to 3 outlets: one for the Base, and one for each Satellite.  So, I'm using the AT&T box as a switch too.

It appears to me that you have configured the Orbi in a way that is not intended.  The method Netgear intends is:

• The router WAN (Yellow) port is connected to the internet source. (modem or in this case a router)
  • Orbi satellites are connected to the router over WiFi or over ethernet cables connected to the router LAN ports.

What you have done is connect the satellites to the Orbi through the WAN (Yellow) port so that both the internet and the satellites appear on the same router interface.

The problem is understandable.  There is only one etherent cable running from the patch panel to each location.  (why would anyone place two cables?  Heck, my house has no patch panel at all and zero ethernet cables in the walls!)  What you need is two ethernet cables from the patch panel to the router and to unplug the satellites from the AT&T switch and connect them to a separate switch.  There was a great post recently showing how to use two switches to create a VLAN that allows both the WAN and LAN traffic to travel across a single ethernet cable:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disabling-automatic-subnet-reconfig/m-p/2031354#M110164 

172.16.0.x is a private IP address space. (as is 192.168.x.x) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network   This indicates to me that the AT&T box is still acting as a router. 

I think there are three choices:

• Leave the satellites in WiFi backhaul mode until you either
  • Install another ethernet cable to the router location and put a small (dumb) switch at the patch panel, or
  • Purchase two more capable switches and set up a VLAN like the previous user did.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It would help to have a diagram of the components and how they are connected, starting with the ISP modem (brand & model), and including any switches.  For the Orbi to function correctly, all Orbi units must be in the same IP subnet, which is usually 192.168.1.x.

The typical connection pattern is:

ISP device --ethernet cable--> Orbi router WAN (yellow) port

then

Orbi router LAN port --ethernet--> satellite1 and

Orbi router LAN port--ethernet--> satellite2

Many people have ethernet wiring inside the walls that runs to a central patch panel and perhaps an ethernet switch.  Because the patch panel is not in a good location for a WiFi access point, they often spread the Orbi units around the house and connect them all to a switch at the patch panel.

Please describe your setup.

Message 2 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

Pardon me for jumping in with a question (related to the topic title, of not to OP's situation):

• Is it required (or preferred?) that RBS's be connected directly to RBR's Ethernet ports?
  • Is it OK to have one (or more) switches between RBR and RBS's?

There are just 3 usable ports on the RBS50. Ideally, I'll hang an 8 port switch on the RBR and connect it to Ethernet outlets around the house and attach switches on the other end of those outlets. Then attach wired devices or RBS's to those switches in those rooms.

That should be OK for fixed items like PC's, receivers, TV's in those rooms.  Will it be OK to connect RBS's as well (with 2 switches between the RBS's and the RBR)? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

There have been numerous posts regarding how switches affect the router-satellite connection.

The general concensus appears to be that sometimes using a switch causes the link to be unstable.

A number of users have asked if there is a list of acceptable switches, and the answer appears to be "no".

The only way I know of to resolve the question is to give it a try and see what happens.

Message 4 of 9
bgibs2003
Tutor

My setup is --> AT&T modem/router combo (but I have the router functionality turned off) --> the AT&T box has 4 drops on the back and is located in my smart home panel.  From there, I have Ethernet cables patched to 3 outlets: one for the Base, and one for each Satellite.  So, I'm using the AT&T box as a switch too.

Message 5 of 9
bgibs2003
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!!  What is the option if using switches causes it to be unreliable?

My main issue is that I can only use the family printer (WiFi) when the device I'm printing from is on the same AP as the printer (the main Router base).

@CrimpOn wrote:

There have been numerous posts regarding how switches affect the router-satellite connection.

The general concensus appears to be that sometimes using a switch causes the link to be unstable.

A number of users have asked if there is a list of acceptable switches, and the answer appears to be "no".

The only way I know of to resolve the question is to give it a try and see what happens.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@bgibs2003 wrote:

It appears to me that you have configured the Orbi in a way that is not intended.  The method Netgear intends is:

• The router WAN (Yellow) port is connected to the internet source. (modem or in this case a router)
  • Orbi satellites are connected to the router over WiFi or over ethernet cables connected to the router LAN ports.

What you have done is connect the satellites to the Orbi through the WAN (Yellow) port so that both the internet and the satellites appear on the same router interface.

The problem is understandable.  There is only one etherent cable running from the patch panel to each location.  (why would anyone place two cables?  Heck, my house has no patch panel at all and zero ethernet cables in the walls!)  What you need is two ethernet cables from the patch panel to the router and to unplug the satellites from the AT&T switch and connect them to a separate switch.  There was a great post recently showing how to use two switches to create a VLAN that allows both the WAN and LAN traffic to travel across a single ethernet cable:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disabling-automatic-subnet-reconfig/m-p/2031354#M110164 

172.16.0.x is a private IP address space. (as is 192.168.x.x) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network   This indicates to me that the AT&T box is still acting as a router. 

I think there are three choices:

• Leave the satellites in WiFi backhaul mode until you either
  • Install another ethernet cable to the router location and put a small (dumb) switch at the patch panel, or
  • Purchase two more capable switches and set up a VLAN like the previous user did.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 9
bgibs2003
Tutor

It works!!  Many, many thanks.  I was actually lucky:  The room my router is in is a home office and does indeed have two jacks in the wall.  As you described, I ran the top jack to the yellow wire on the Router (paired it with AT&T modem), and then ran the wire from the bottom jack to a small switch I had on hand.  It all now works: Wifi and wired connections on one network!  I've been pulling my hair out over this for months.  Should have posted on here sooner.  Many, many thanks for your time!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7