Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired and wireless backhaul

Kevin78613
Aspirant

Wired and wireless backhaul

Need to check if this will work. I have the router and a satellite working in the house using wireless. The guest house is 200 feet away and the walls are all stone do wifi does not reach. We are planning to run a CAT6 line to the guest house from the ORBI router to the second satellite. Basically running a wireless backchannel in the house and a wired one to the guest house. Will that work?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wired and wireless backhaul

There have been numerous reports of "mixed" satellite connections.  The "good news" is that satellite connection is monitored constantly and if the ethernet connection suddenly goes away, the satellite will go back to WiFi backhaul.  And, if the 5G backhaul has a bad enough connection, it will turn to a 2.4G WiFi backhaul.

Fortunately, this is an easy thing to test. Put both satellites in the same room with the router and let them sync over WiFi.  Connect one with an ethernet patch cable and in a few minutes it will switch to ethernet backhaul.  (I do not remember how many minutes it takes for the switch.)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, it will.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I like that web page except I wish Netgear had put a statement somewhere on the page to say, "There can be a MIX of some satellites with wireless backhaul and some with ethernet backhaul."  Better yet, a picture showing the mix.

Message 4 of 7
Kevin78613
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. However the webpage shows all satellites being wired to the router. My question can one be wireless to the router and one being hardwired to the router. The illustration does not show that or indicate that it can be done. Wireless on one and wired on the other is my situation. 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

There have been numerous reports of "mixed" satellite connections.  The "good news" is that satellite connection is monitored constantly and if the ethernet connection suddenly goes away, the satellite will go back to WiFi backhaul.  And, if the 5G backhaul has a bad enough connection, it will turn to a 2.4G WiFi backhaul.

Fortunately, this is an easy thing to test. Put both satellites in the same room with the router and let them sync over WiFi.  Connect one with an ethernet patch cable and in a few minutes it will switch to ethernet backhaul.  (I do not remember how many minutes it takes for the switch.)

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I can confirm that you can have mixed connected RBS. 

I would recommend disabling Daisy Chain on the RBR first. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7